• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

leak from front center of trans

YY1

Local time
6:56 AM
Reaction score
So...my brother told me I should replace the input shaft seal on my 904 while the engine was out, since I had been sand blasting the engine bay.

Sounded logical, so I ordered one. What arrived was a small metal band.
That can't be right, can it? I see pics online of a more traditional seal with a rubber lip.
I also see references to a torque converter seal.

I didn't replace it because it didn't look right, and of course it started leaking last week.

What's leaking?

Thanks

So, is it a traditional seal like the rear seal, but without the big rubber boot?

I can't seem to find a good diagram or pic, or youtube or anything.

So, is it a traditional seal like the rear seal, but without the big rubber boot?
Yes. Admit never worked on a 904, but it's gotta be the same type seal. Rubber seats against the converter shaft.
Hate to say it, but probably should have replaced it, while you were there.

That small metal band...sounds like wrong part, from some highly-educated parts man!

If it's a thin metal band it might be to repair a shaft with a groove in it.

It looks just like a rear end seal. The band you received may be the bushing that goes in behind the pump seal, which should probably be replaced as well. If you take the front pump off to do it, tighten the front band adjustment before removal to hold the drum in place. Plus you need the pump seal, coated washers. And rubber perimeter seal.

What you need to replace is what is called the front pump seal. Also you need to replace the front pump bushing as well. Because if the front pump busing is warn it will allow the hub on the torque converter to wobble and take out the new front pump seal.
The band you received is a ring that slides on the hub of the torque converter to fix a groove that has warn on the hub from the front pump seal over time

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure what happened is the sand destroyed the rubber lip of the seal.

Can I not just pull and replace the seal?

Trans has 50,506 original miles.

Yes you can just replace the front pump seal. But I would inspect the torque converter hub for wear Also look for a wear groove worn in the hub machined surface (seal interface) If the new seal lip rides in that worn groove chances are it may leak. Once you remove the old seal from the pump you will be able to inspect the front pump bushing for wear.

Yes, just replace the seal. ITs done all the time. Pump has to come out to replace the bushing which means more gaskets and work for nothing. That seal is designed to be very forgiving.

Auto Transport Service
Back