• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaking fuel tank at inlet

Mark1972

Local time
9:18 AM
Reaction score
So I have my brand new fuel tank and spout with cap, and there is no rubber seal or any kind of seal for that matter. Even at half a tank the fuel leaks out on the road while driving. I've contacted the manufacturer of the tank and spout and they dont carry anything. The spout has that raised "ring" around it that sits just at the opening of the tank. What am I missing here?

Did the filler tube press into the rubber ring on the tank?
20190512_204824.jpg

Repo rings that hold fuel sender in place are thinner and seem to leak. If your original is usable use it.

there is no rubber seal or any kind of seal for that matter
You need the filler tube grommet if I understand what you are saying. Khrslerkid has the picture pointing to the black grommet in his post.

The rubber grommet in the picture is what I don't have. The tank was made by Spectra Premium, right here in my own city. The filler neck I got from Auto Metal Direct. There was no rubber grommet. I see them on AMD's website now. Hoping to find one locally that will work. Thanks for the responses.

Auto Transport Service
Back