• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaking speedo gear seal on a 65 727

74RRGTX440

Local time
7:50 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Has anybody had any experience with leakage from the speedo cable at the transmission on a 65 727? It is leaking out of where the cable attaches to the housing. I changed the inner seal but it still leaks. Could i need a new speedo gear? Did I maybe get the wrong seal? Any suggestions would be helpful before I tear it apart again.

I also just started a similar post. I am doing mine now. Car is lifted up will attempt it tomorrow if I get the time. I found this video helpful for me since I didn’t know where my leak was initially coming from. There are two seals. Did you replace both?

I also just started a similar post. I am doing mine now. Car is lifted up will attempt it tomorrow if I get the time. I found this video helpful for me since I didn’t know where my leak was initially coming from. There are two seals. Did you replace both?

Also did you get the assembly back together in the same orientation? I understand that’s really important for the fitment of the gear? Does the speedo work?

Also did you get the assembly back together in the same orientation? I understand that’s really important for the fitment of the gear? Does the speedo work?

That is the 66 and up speedo housing. I have the older 64-65 type

65 coronet speedo gear housing.jpg

Ah the older ones are different. I wonder when the cutoff was.

When you say "inner seal" do you mean the one inside the plastic gear? That seal should prevent fluid from leaking into the cable housing. If it's leaking where the cable housing is crimped into the end, clean it good and apply some heat-shrink tubing to the joint. There is heat-shrink available with built in sealer, that works the best. You'll have to remove the cable from the car to do the heat shrink fix.

When you say "inner seal" do you mean the one inside the plastic gear? That seal should prevent fluid from leaking into the cable housing. If it's leaking where the cable housing is crimped into the end, clean it good and apply some heat-shrink tubing to the joint. There is heat-shrink available with built in sealer, that works the best. You'll have to remove the cable from the car to do the heat shrink fix.

Yes I replaced the seal inside the gear and it still leaks, I took it apart last night and the seal, housing and gear all look good. I put the heat shrink on the cable as well. Sure hope that works. Wondering if a new cable work be a permanent fix??

I did mine last night. Lost a full quart on the floor so be ready fir that to happen. I had the back end up too! Pic before removal.

301FA155-2D11-4012-A306-60721DFA8715.jpeg 397E9755-C0BA-42E6-B09C-F320086EDBA0.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back