• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaking TRW/THOMPSON ps pump

I’ve purchased reseal kits from Firm Feel Steering I believe ( I get them and Steer and Gear confused sometimes). Seems like once those cans start to leak and they’ve been taken apart, it’s tough to get them to seal up tight again. So a little RTV on the o-ring won’t hurt.
Or....just use the rtv in the groove. Done.

Just know there are dofferent sizes of pumps. Where the round can and pup diameter Meet up.

looks like yours is the large size.

I thought ATF is what you’re supposed to use. Any particular PS fluid?

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE ATF. Power steering fluid is HYDRAULIC OIL. Use a good grade / brand of ISO-VIS 46 hydraulic oil, such as Mobil DTE Medium, or Valvoline or Pennzoil equilivants. This is equal to viscosity index of 15W. Hydraulic oil has anti wear, anti foam additives for vane pumps or TRW cam and roller pumps.
BOB RENTON

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE ATF. Power steering fluid is HYDRAULIC OIL. Use a good grade / brand of ISO-VIS 46 hydraulic oil, such as Mobil DTE Medium, or Valvoline or Pennzoil equilivants. This is equal to viscosity index of 15W. Hydraulic oil has anti wear, anti foam additives for vane pumps or TRW cam and roller pumps.
BOB RENTON
Would flushing out the ATF and replace with hydraulic oil possibly stop the leak at the can seal?

I’ve purchased reseal kits from Firm Feel Steering I believe ( I get them and Steer and Gear confused sometimes). Seems like once those cans start to leak and they’ve been taken apart, it’s tough to get them to seal up tight again. So a little RTV on the o-ring won’t hurt.

Had that same issue. I actually took my canister to work and measured it on the CMM for roundness to see and it was surprisingly pretty damn round. I had to upsize the o-ring by one size so it fit tight and then it was good to go from there on out.

Would flushing out the ATF and replace with hydraulic oil possibly stop the leak at the can seal?

Sure...its possible but not likely. If the O-ring seal has deteriorated, just changing the oil will not fix the leak. Do it correctly...replace the seals......just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back