• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Least $ power steering box ?

417guy

Local time
1:55 PM
Reaction score
My steering box is worn out in my 68 roadrunner. Leaks, and cannot be adjusted for the “play”. Couple of different shops have looked at it, I have to watch it close on the highway at 70. Need constant attention (wanders) . Been aligned by those shops, both say the same thing. All the rest of front suspension parts have been replaced recently. I’m not ready to spend any more $ right now than I have to, any ideas on what is a “ fix” for less than $3-400 ? If I could find the $, Borgeson would be my choice. Maybe have to wait until I can . Just looking for any other solutions ? Thanks for reading .

You want to tackle this job yourself or have a shop do it? More cash; but installed a FFII box that made my car drive better than it did off the assembly line.

Ditto on Firm Feel level II.

Cheapest would probably be a rebuilt unit from NAPA or Rock Auto.

I've bought a couple from Steer and Gear.
They've been around a long time and my boxes work well.

You want to tackle this job yourself or have a shop do it? More cash; but installed a FFII box that made my car drive better than it did off the assembly line.
I like the idea that a firm feel should fit I just like the original. My car has hooker headers, which makes the work even harder. One shop told me they would just bill me by the hour($90) and it might be 7 or maybe more ! I’ve done most every thing to the car myself ( like header install) so this winter I will tackle it. Thanks for your input, I’m going to firm feels site now to consider them.

Just installed a Steer & Gear modern feel p/s box a couple of months ago. $380.00/$195 core. Great people to work with. Easy core return with pre-printed label. Steers great.

FF level II. Drives incredibly well.
They will rebuild your box if you can be down for a week or so. I got my original box back.

The cheapest way is to get a steering box out of a 1980 's fifth ave. Direct bolt in just have to use the large sector pitman arm .

Both Steer and Gear and Firm Feel offer the same quality and require a rebuildable core to refund the core charge. So, I recommend going with the one that costs least to ship your core to. Meaning, the one that is nearest to you.

The cheapest way is to get a steering box out of a 1980 's fifth ave. Direct bolt in just have to use the large sector pitman arm .
What leaf springs are you running? Looks great!

Is the 80’s fifth avenue box more modern “feel “ ? Would it have been the same box they put in police cars then ? Thanks for the advice !

Both Steer and Gear and Firm Feel offer the same quality and require a rebuildable core to refund the core charge. So, I recommend going with the one that costs least to ship your core to. Meaning, the one that is nearest to you.
Thanks, I was wondering if they were about the same specs and quality .

I would save your money and buy the Borgeson box. You can get free shipping through Summit. To have your box rebuilt, probably gonna cost you $75 to ship both ways.

I would save your money and buy the Borgeson box. You can get free shipping through Summit. To have your box rebuilt, probably gonna cost you $75 to ship both ways.
Do you have a Borgeson box ? Just wondering why you prefer it . Or is it merely to save the shipping $ ? It costs more to start with, and if I understand, you have to use their u joint to hook it up and cut the steering shaft or get a coupling “pot” from Bergman. Do you think those those things are justified ? I guess that’s what this boils down to…

Here is how I see it. My suggestions are either a good used unit or a full tilt rebuild. No cheap parts store regasketed units!
You can take a chance with a dry, clean used box and you might be alright. Yeah, the 83-89 Diplomat, Gran Fury and Fifth Avenue cars use the same steering box and were usually owned by "seasoned" people so they were not abused. I'm not afraid to take a chance on a junkyard part if it looks clean and feels right. Yeah, swapping a steering box is a bit of a chore but not like a transmission or rear end.
Firm Feel rebuilds are the top of the heap in terms of a stock type steering box. Their competition is Steer and Gear, an outfit that seems to have a slightly less popular following.
The Borgeson unit has some satisfied customers but even doing it as cheap as possible, you're looking at close to $700 with everything.

Yes I do have the Borgeson box, it was less expensive to buy than to ship my box to be rebuilt. I still hear of slop in the rebuilt boxes from Steer and Gear and Firm Feel.

Here is how I see it. My suggestions are either a good used unit or a full tilt rebuild. No cheap parts store regasketed units!
You can take a chance with a dry, clean used box and you might be alright. Yeah, the 83-89 Diplomat, Gran Fury and Fifth Avenue cars use the same steering box and were usually owned by "seasoned" people so they were not abused. I'm not afraid to take a chance on a junkyard part if it looks clean and feels right. Yeah, swapping a steering box is a bit of a chore but not like a transmission or rear end.
Firm Feel rebuilds are the top of the heap in terms of a stock type steering box. Their competition is Steer and Gear, an outfit that seems to have a slightly less popular following.
The Borgeson unit has some satisfied customers but even doing it as cheap as possible, you're looking at close to $700 with everything.
Thanks for the input. I had ruled out the “ parts store rebuilds”, don’t see how anything would last or perform that costs $120-150 with a $35 core ! Curious what do you have in your car ? I don’t mind doing the work over the winter, but I hate having to re-do something like this later ! From everyone’s input, I’m down to deciding either a rebuild from firm feel or steer and gear OR just pay the credit card later and get a Borgeson. Really curious as to what others have done and would do again or not ! Thanks for all the input !

I have a Firm Feel Stage 3 and the Fast Ratio Idler and Pitman arms. MY car feels like a cross between manual and Power assisted steering.
Yes, the stock steering box has its limitations and will still have a little bit of free play no matter how well it is rebuilt. The design dates back to the late 50s so even the best rebuilders are up against an old design from a time where overboosted steering feel was the goal.
The Stage 3 level has a much higher effort built into it. The Fast Ratio Idler and Pitman arms are longer than stock and have the effect of changing the steering ratio from approximately 15.7 to 1 to around 12 to 1. This results in a feel closer to what new performance cars have today. The Borgeson box is based on a much newer design. It is a 14 to 1 ratio which is a step up from the Mopar box but the feel is supposed to be much better. The cost may be coming down as more units have been sold but for awhile, complete kits with the metric hydraulic adapters and the "no cutting required" hybrid steering coupler were just shy of $900.

16.JPG

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back