• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leather Seat Repair

Northeast300

Local time
8:46 AM
Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions to restore/repair my seats in my '79 300, I am looking to buy some time before having to replace or recover them. Has anyone used a leather restore cream or one of those "As Seen On TV" products?

Pictured are my front seats, driver's seat is much worse than the passenger seat

00404_jFaw6316qjO_600x450.jpg

I have not used anything for seat cracks.
A pair of nice set covers will temporarily cover them up till you get them redone.

great links but I was looking for a DYI solution before paying someone to do it, any suggested products?

Start by cleaning with saddle soap. Then go over them with utter cream (test a small section first) rub it in good. Let that sit over night then treat with BEESWAX wood conditioner. Let this sit a couple of days then buff them with micro fiber buffing wheel or hand cloth. If you like gloss you can then use a oil based protectant like black magik.

great links but I was looking for a DYI solution before paying someone to do it, any suggested products?
Honestly? The cheap OTC box store crap won't last and look good at all. By the time you buy everything you need, cleaners, special leather glues, dyes, flex agents, bonding agents, lusters, crack fillers, etc. etc; You'll have waaaaaay more material then you'll ever use and spend tons more then what a mobile tech would charge to do the job. I've been out of it for awhile, I would guess between $2-350 bucks for your 2 seats. You can't spend $20 and have million dollar seats, besides, have you priced the price of leather upholstery it's well worth it. Good Luck

Start by cleaning with saddle soap. Then go over them with utter cream (test a small section first) rub it in good. Let that sit over night then treat with BEESWAX wood conditioner. Let this sit a couple of days then buff them with micro fiber buffing wheel or hand cloth. If you like gloss you can then use a oil based protectant like black magik.
Yeah, good luck with that, you'll still have ugly cracks that will only wear more and not look any better. Who wants to look at tan colored cracked up all to hell faded red leather? Not me! BTW, leathers not supposed to be glossy, more semi gloss to flat.

Honestly? The cheap OTC box store crap won't last and look good at all. By the time you buy everything you need, cleaners, special leather glues, dyes, flex agents, bonding agents, lusters, crack fillers, etc. etc; You'll have waaaaaay more material then you'll ever use and spend tons more then what a mobile tech would charge to do the job. I've been out of it for awhile, I would guess between $2-350 bucks for your 2 seats. You can't spend $20 and have million dollar seats, besides, have you priced the price of leather upholstery it's well worth it. Good Luck

Yeah, good luck with that, you'll still have ugly cracks that will only wear more and not look any better. Who wants to look at tan colored cracked up all to hell faded red leather? Not me! BTW, leathers not supposed to be glossy, more semi gloss to flat.

Considering the OP was asking for a way to buy some time I offered up a solution. I've done this process on a few flip cars and you'd be amazed at how the cracks shrink up. Leather is skin and just like dry skin once you introduce oil back into it it will become supple again and many of the cracks will close up.

Considering the OP was asking for a way to buy some time I offered up a solution. I've done this process on a few flip cars and you'd be amazed at how the cracks shrink up. Leather is skin and just like dry skin once you introduce oil back into it it will become supple again and many of the cracks will close up.
Geez, I was trained by professionals in the industry, I did this for a living! That's a stupid *** "bandaid" that doesn't work! The cracks are still there, the die on the seats is still faded and worn, all will only get worse. You must be one of those shady *** used car dealers that don't fix anything, just put a bandaid on it and get it off the lot that I used to see a lot!! Yeah, so I don't know what I'm talking about! Give me a break!:screwy::screwy::screwy::screwy::screwy::screwy::screwy::screwy::screwy::screwy::screwy:

Auto Transport Service
Back