• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LED Flasher Unit Constantly Ticking

Don67Satellite

Local time
6:38 PM
Reaction score
Upgraded my brake/turn/marker lights with LED's recently and today I received one of the 2 LED flasher units. When I installed it on the turn signals, they do work fine, but the flasher unit is constantly ticking while the key is on. It shuts up when the key is off.

In other words, the signals work as expected, but even after cancelling the signal, the flasher unit still ticks. It is grounded.

I decided to move it to the emergency flasher and it works basically as expected and is not constantly ticking when connected here.

I'm sure this is something simple and I'm kinda dumb with chasing this stuff out, so any ideas are welcome.

So I received the 2nd LED Flasher unit today. They are the non-polarity EF32RLNP ones with the grounding cable.

So on the emergency flasher plug, no issues, works as expected.

On the turn signals, the minute you turn the key on, the ticking starts, but there are no signals flashing.

Signal right/left and the signals work as expected. Cancel signal, ticking continues.

The old signal flasher didn't make any noise when off or when signalling, so can't compare it.

I guess maybe I will get one of the silent LED solid state flashers for the signals. Would have been nice to have the old school ticking, just not constantly! :rolleyes:

Update.

Have now installed a heavy duty LED solid state flasher (black box type) which doesn't make the ticking sound, so of course now the signals are silent, and work as expected, but there is still activation of the flasher unit when the arm is cancelled.

The signal flasher is still being activated as if I was signalling, at the same on/off pace as if I was using the signals.

How do I know this? Because as an added electrical gremlin, I now notice my aftermarket tach needle slightly bouncing in rhythm. It is bouncing with the signals activated or cancelled.

I wonder if this could be the turn signal switch? Somehow contact is still being made to activate the flasher.

I guess I'm taking the steering wheel off tomorrow.

Update.
After the song & dance of getting this aftermarket Grant steering wheel adapter off, :mad: ,I was amazed that the turn signal switch even functioned. It looked like a grease monster that sprouted hair. How anything made any kind of connection in there is a mystery.
After reading a few threads on turn signal switches, I decided on an American made Shee-Mar. It seems @moparmarks gives them a :thumbsup: and they are more reasonable than a NOS.
Hopefully this chases out a gremlin or 3, but if not, hey, new switch! :bananaweed:

So, to bring a conclusion to this, I installed the Shee-Mar switch, found a new power source for my tach (the PO had tapped into the switch power), removed a horrendous "immobilizer" the PO had installed, patched up that wiring, and voila!, no more constant ticking. Not sure which one was the culprit, just glad to bring that to an end.

Auto Transport Service
Back