• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LED Headlight Swap for 68 Charger

Woodsy

Local time
8:54 AM
Reaction score
Hi there, in order to meet vehicle compliance in New Zealand I need to swap out the headlights on my 68 Charger as the high beam and light direction is set up for driving on the RHS of the road as opposed to the LHS in NZ. While I am at it I am going to swap to LED. I have found plenty of aftermarket LED headlights on American websites but can seem to find any on NZ, Australian or British websites. Could any of the Kiwi, Aussie or Brit members of this forum point me in the right direction of some compliant LED headlights for driving on the LHS of the road?
Thanks.

Is this a joke??? They don't sell "left" or "right" headlamps !!!

The bulb is aimed by the adjusting screws on the headlight bucket. Not by swapping them around.

As diesel says re-aim them..
Unless this is like some tuners out there where the actual physical angles in the lamp that refract the light are different for different countries. I know of a car here in Canada that had to change the whole units out in order to pass out of province inspection.
Ask @kiwigtx here on the forum, I’m sure he’d know

As diesel says re-aim them..
Unless this is like some tuners out there where the actual physical angles in the lamp that refract the light are different for different countries. I know of a car here in Canada that had to change the whole units out in order to pass out of province inspection.
Ask @kiwigtx here on the forum, I’m sure he’d know

thanks for that. @kiwigtx are you able to advise please?

This is a real deal, cars built for places that drive on the left side have headlights that are specifically made for that as they angle the light differently than RH ones. There typically is not enough adjustment to compensate to meet the rules, however it has been my understanding that at lease AUS has a provision for "vintage" American cars but I could be mistaken.

No joke, it is as 4mulas says above it’s the physical angle of the lenses that mean they need to be swapped out.

NO ... what he said is you need to "adjust" the angle. As I said in my first post there are no left and right.

have headlights that are specifically made for that as they angle the light differently than RH ones.
So doesn't it stand to reason that N/A headlights would also be specific to left and right? But they're not !!

Most low-beam headlamps produce an asymmetrical light suitable for use on only one side of the road. Low beam headlamps in LHT jurisdictions throw most of their light forward-leftward; those for RHT throw most of their light forward-rightward, thus illuminating obstacles and road signs while minimising glare for oncoming traffic.

Most low-beam headlamps produce an asymmetrical light suitable for use on only one side of the road. Low beam headlamps in LHT jurisdictions throw most of their light forward-leftward; those for RHT throw most of their light forward-rightward, thus illuminating obstacles and road signs while minimising glare for oncoming traffic.
Correct and unfortunately the Australian rules don’t apply here in NZ.

Is this a joke??? They don't sell "left" or "right" headlamps !!!
You obviously know less than you think.
There are indeed Left & Right hand headlights.

The lens and reflectors are shaped specifically to aim the beam towards the centre of the road depending on which side of the road a country uses.

So once again, you are dead wrong.

thanks for that. @kiwigtx are you able to advise please?
Done.

The first thing that is looked at on all Left hand drive cars entering this country is headlights, followed closely by structural degradation, and poor repair workmanship....a common occurrence in imported American "Show cars"

The lens and reflectors are shaped specifically to aim the beam towards the centre of the road depending on which side of the road a country uses.

Done.

The first thing that is looked at on all Left hand drive cars entering this country is headlights, followed closely by structural degradation, and poor repair workmanship....a common occurrence in imported American "Show cars"

Done.

Thanks mate, appreciate it. Do you know where I could find some 5.75” LED headlights for LHS driving? A few UK websites have motorbike ones but not sure whether they’ll be appropriate.

Thanks mate, appreciate it. Do you know where I could find some 5.75” LED headlights for LHS driving? A few UK websites have motorbike ones but not sure whether they’ll be appropriate.
Whereabouts are you in NZ?

Auto Transport Service
Back