• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lenco ST1200 Vs. NP a-833 Reference Picture

Jeremiah

Local time
3:13 PM
Reaction score
My Lenco ST1200 for the black Charger showed up today. The face plated aluminum a-833 is for my red car. Needless to say I am very happy to finally move forward on this project. UPS lost the Lenco for two weeks after I waited on it's production for about 6 months. I guess good things come to those that wait. Lenco ST1200 vs NP a-833 with shifter.jpg

Nice that is a wild looking trans . Got anymore info on it never heard of it?

Nice that is a wild looking trans . Got anymore info on it never heard of it?

Lenco, all the Pro Stock cars use to run them back in the 70's and 80's. They are bullet proof and can handle a lot of power.

Jeremiha, NICE!

You have a picture of the car it's going in?

Thanks guys. It is going in the black/black '66 that we picked up in Washington. Wheels up pick was from prior owner. We are going to throw another 200 hp of motor at it and try to be cannon fodder for some of the NMCA West races...if they allow a planetary manual transmission.

Buddy and I ran one in a Super Street 69 road runner back in the early 80's however I never got to drive it because of a clutch failure took out the trans so we went back to the 833. Price was right back then. Seems like they don't publish prices on their site....

Yeah they're not cheap,
I had purchased a few of them over the years,
some were Jeffco
http://www.jeffcoperformance.com/transmissions/
much like a Lenco just a little different slightly, usually cheaper too
but not for about 8-10 years now,
check out www.RacingJunk.com search Lenco, there's usually a couple "used/raced" for sale about a 1/3rd off, to half price "sometimes"

IIRC it was about $2k per-can/gear & reverser USED,
there are deals every once in a while
then the clutch, can, blanket, shifter, crossbar/bellcrank, throwout bearing
& the other stuff is pricey too, easily for sfi rated/legal stuff
about $10k+ {more usually if fresh} to get you started/USED with a 3 speed
at-least another $2k for a 4 speed

Wonder if anyone would trade for a new Jerico......:D

Thanks for the education guys that is one hell of a trans ,I won't ever be needing one but if I do now I know what to get.
Good luck with your install and cant wait for some track pics .

This guy seems to be having a good time with his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSxUm2mYOpE

The cost for a ST1200 (aluminum, not magnesium) like mine, ready to run with shifter is $4650 out the door. If you add aerospace/low drag bearings it brings the price up to $5650. Not all that bad when you consider the alternatives and cost of repairing broken transmissions. For comparison if you built an all aluminum, face plated a-833 with shifter and all of the goodies you would have about $4k into it.

My car:

IMG_20141221_134204_222.jpgIMG_20140923_112445_356.jpgResizedImage_1412635735472.jpgResizedImage_1412635657572.jpgRepaving Project.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like it was being shifted without using the clutch?

Yes that is correct. The clutch is used to get off of the line and then you just pull levers to up-shift. When the lever is pulled it makes that section 1:1 therefore only utilizing the ratios of the un-shifted sections. Each section is essentially an automatic transmission planetary with a manually operated wet clutch. The cool thing is that you can tune each section's clutch setup to soften or firm up the shift. It will be a big learning curve for me! I really enjoy an h-pattern 4-speed but parts breakage has become cost prohibitive. It's not like you can walk into a dealership and order more 18 spline parts anymore.

Auto Transport Service
Back