• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let me see your steering shaft mounts

cbodybob

Local time
2:37 PM
Reaction score
IMG_1195.JPG
IMG_7256.JPG
About to reinstall just the steering shaft in my car. I stripped the column down to just the shaft to save weight. Want to see inexpensive & simple ways to safely mount my steel shaft back in. It's a break-away column.

View attachment 532250 View attachment 532251 About to reinstall just the steering shaft in my car. I stripped the column down to just the shaft to save weight. Want to see inexpensive & simple ways to safely mount my steel shaft back in. It's a break-away column.

We made a tubular column in my car & adapted it to the factory (now removable) steering wheel & adapted it to the rack up front. It mounts in all of the factory mounting points.

100_1673 [640x480].jpg

The column pictured above is a good answer, but needs some support. The dash-bar would be ideal to attach to. All the ones we've used would bent/flex at that small diameter, when under load.

The column pictured above is a good answer, but needs some support. The dash-bar would be ideal to attach to. All the ones we've used would bent/flex at that small diameter, when under load.

There is plenty of support. You just have to look a little closer there is two tabs on either side of the column bolting it to the bottom of the dash. There is also (not seen) a bracket that is welded to the cross cage bar that the column goes thru as well as a block plate that was made that goes thru the firewall where the old factory column used to go thru as well.

IMG_2590.JPG
IMG_2589.JPG
I was thinking of this from Speedway motors. The 3 bolt at the firewall & the 2 bolt bolted up to a piece of angle iron then to the Stock column mount.

Auto Transport Service
Back