• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's say you just graduated with your ME degree, what car do you buy?

I promised both my son and daughter I would by them their first car. Then it was up to them to take care of it.

Found one of these for $300. Father son project to get it on the road. He had it for about a year and wrecked it. Totaled it.
Dodge-1985-Shelby-Charger.jpg

Then bought one like this one for the daughter. Found it at a estate sale for $300. She had it for about six months and wrecked it. I fixed it for her and she traded it in on something else.

Easy cheap cars to work on at the time. Parts were readily available and low cost.
524694387reliant.jpg

I promised both my son and daughter I would by them their first car. Then it was up to them to take care of it.

Found one of these for $300. Father son project to get it on the road. He had it for about a year and wrecked it. Totaled it.
View attachment 792029

Then bought one like this one for the daughter. Found it at a estate sale for $300. She had it for about six months and wrecked it. I fixed it for her and she traded it in on something else.

Easy cheap cars to work on at the time. Parts were readily available and low cost.
View attachment 792031

Interesting . . . both of my daughters totaled their first cars too . . . one was rear-ended, not her fault, the other was questionable, they pulled out in front of her and slammed on the breaks - might have done it intentionally . . . hard to say, I was not there . . . .

But I find it interesting that so many have this "throw it away" mentality" on vehicles . . . or is it lack of respect for maintaining the vehicles . . .

You found both vehicles for $300 . . . that's pretty darn impressive to say the least ! !

My daughters drove around in our 3rd cars we ended up having as I never trade a car in as that's a rip-off unless the car is junk. My nephew bought a performance Subaru of some sort and beat the **** out of it never checking the oil...when the motor seized he ahhh...knew he was out his set of wheels..

A slightly uses Viper ACR TA :lol:

a Demon

a Hellcat, Challenger or Charger

Maybe a Trackhawk Jeep, or Grand Cherokee
or STR Durango

an Icon (old 68-70 Power Wagon, all new), engineering greatness

maybe a Ram Rebel TRX with Hellcat drivetrain (only prototypes so far)

I made this mistake when I graduated college WAY BACK....Had to have a brand new vehicle as a reward for making it through Engineering school. It was a 1989 Shelby Dakota. Took out a loan to buy it. Bad choice.

My advice for your son is work for a year and save up some money. Get a feel for the real world before diving into debt head first. Even if a loan isn't needed, I still recommend waiting a year.

My recently graduated EE son is driving an 02 TDI Jetta. Just sharing my life experience....

D

S ome
A sshole
A ctually
B ought one.
Actually it's
Swedish
Automobile
Always
Broken

Seriously it's Swedish Airplane AB. The AB is Swedish abbreviation for incorporated.

Auto Transport Service
Back