• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

let's see your coolant tanks

747mopar

Local time
3:47 PM
Reaction score
I'm needing to get a radiator overflow tank for my Charger and was wondering what you guys are using. I would like an aluminum or stainless tank but most of the ones that I see are just catch cans that don't allow the coolant to go back in the radiator. This is a street car and not a drag car. Thanks

I have a be cool aluminium cylinder catch can, it has a pipe running from radiator neck to the bottom of the can then out the top i ran a hose to the road for overflow. but i am pretty sure it works same as a reservoir no? as the heat and vacuum inside radiator will suck it back up if it needs soem more coolant. correct me if im wrong

I bought the Jegs stainless steel recirculating tank from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VRALP4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

555-511035.jpg

As you can see, there was no room to mount it on the engine side due to the AC lines running thru the radiator support.

PLEASE NOTE: (1) You have to find a location where you can get a pop rivet into the brackets which means where you can fit a drill to drill the rivet holes. (2) You have to make sure your hood will close when the bottle is mounted (don't ask how I know).

US Radiator Installed 9-29-014.jpgIMG_0105.jpgIMG_0107.jpg

Last edited:
I use the cheap square universal over flow tank at most stores.... it fits between the battery and core support with no modifications other than bending it's mounting tab to grab the support.

Thanks, I'll look into those.

What year is your car. My 69 does not have or need a tank and does not purge cause it is left 2 inches from the top - not overfilled and does not overheat. A few drops of (better use green) coolant won't kill all the ducks in the area.

When drag racing and a tank is required, I shove my water bottle in there between the battery and inner fender and fake it to pass tech.

Last edited:
100_5674.jpgI don't usually allow any Generic Motors parts on my Mopar but I did give in a little on my Niece's Challenger. I used a bottle taken from a Junk yard Geo Metro (don't know the year).
It fit perfectly between the core support and battery and doesn't look too out of place. It is not bolted in but I just dropped it in and wedged the battery against it and tightend the battery strap down. Here is a pic.

Kinda hard to tell, but I went with the recirculating 2" x 17" long polished stainless recovery tank like themechanic. It's usually moving 20-40oz of coolant. They do help keep air pockets and cavitation issues at bay. Myself, I always run one. All MFG's have as well, for years. I picked mine up from summit.

ty.jpg

Good thread. I have been mulling this over too. I think im going to head to the salvage yard and see what I can find. Something semi transparent so I can see the level.

I used an old valvoline oil quart (after cleaning it out thoroughly, of course) and drilled out for a grommet in the cap. works like a charm!! it fits perfectly between the rad core and the battery tray and it cost me $0

I use an old fire extinguisher with a drain cock drilled on the bottom.
AL ATTACH=CONFIG]191725[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• overflow tank 002.jpg
    overflow tank 002.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 343
Found this shortly after I redid my 67 Charger in 04. Purchased new for around $10.00. Mitsubishi overflow fits nicely in there. Part # MR188696
RadiatorOverflow04.jpg
MR188696-OverflowTank.jpg

This is an aluminum can I bought from Jeg's for my 40 ford, it allows coolant to be recovered. Vent is at the top overflow hose attaches to the bottom.

Attachments

• IM001596.JPG
    IM001596.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 348
Thanks for starting this thread man, I was wondering the same thing. I was trying to find a nice black anodized can but all I saw was the stainless that prop and TM are running, those look pretty nice too though

Lots of good ideas, I was thinking aluminum or stainless but the salvage yard ones look pretty good too hmmmmmmm.

Auto Transport Service
Back