• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's talk about "Brain goo"

YY1

Local time
7:31 AM
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that's the technical term for that ultra sticky stuff in the back of the ECM and regulator cases.

Seems to me that in the past if most of the goo came out, the ECM was suspect.

My brain lost it's goo sitting in a box along with the harness.

Never seen that happen before.

Is it still good?

Can I run it without the goo?

Can I reseal it with "flexseal"? (as seen on TV)

How TF can I get the goo off the harness?

This particular batch of goo seems to have a grit to it.

I've tried pumice hand cleaner and brakleen-
the brakeleen melts the electrical tape before it removes the goo.
I tried brakleen to remove some regulator goo from my firewall-
It removed it alright, right along with the paint!

Anyone ever make a drip tray to catch the goo before it gets on the paint?

Anyone ever seal the back of the ECM or regulator with something?

Looking at the components inside the ECM, it's fairly simple.

Several resistors and diodes.

Is the goo just a moisture barrier?

Seems like an awfully exotic solution for that.

I'd think a simple rubber gasket would be better.

yeah I've seen it happen a few times with both the ECU and the voltage regulator

If it leaks out enough it will fail either due to corrosion due to moisture or the circuit shorting to ground.

Either replace it, wait till it fails or if its still working I'm sure you could carefully remove all the sticky goop and use a good silicone caulk and re-suspend and seal the circuit back into the brain case lol ....brain surgery.... muahahahaha!

I have a nice goo spot on a shelf where a couple of them leaked and have had them leak on my cars too. It sucks! It gets to be around 100 degrees in my shop from time to time but I wouldn't think that temp would be hot enough for the sealant to ooze out but it does. Seems like it's mainly the stock stuff that ooze the worse. Anyone else have a high performance one leak like that? I like to make a heat shield that holds them off the firewall and then if it leaks, there won't be anything on the firewall hopefully. I have a sheet metal shear and and break so it's easy for me to make stuff like that....

I always thought it was there for a vibration damper. You might try spraying a little WD40 on there and see if it wil work or just buy some new harness tape and replace it.

Vibration control&moisture. Have seen a couple epoxy filled on semi's with a hairline crack and you could see the rust building up on the circuit board.

Melt it on out with a heat gun and re-pot it with this.
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/3b/3b1a9cc2-2fce-4eae-898f-22f38190e4e1_1000.jpg

1221.jpg

I've got a box of old junkyard OEM MOPAR 5 pins I'm going to do that to.
Yea, I'll have to convert back to a dual resistor from a 4 pin box.
Big deal.
The new stuff that I've tried to buy at the parts stores is junk.
I've recently had them off the shelf that would not start my car.

Here's some info from someone else.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/hei-in-mopar-ecu-casing.252705/
And I don' t want to spend the money for this.
http://www.4secondsflat.com/Ignition.html

Anyone have a "Revinator"?

What do they use?

...and how much are they?

I thought about making a sheet metal backing plate with a catch trough at the bottom.

Periodic visual inspections of the trough should give enough time to replace before it spills over.

Even a stand-off would potentially allow the goo to drip on the firewall, although not directly.

I have sand coming out of my voltage regulator. Time for a new one.

I once tried to get that stuff out of an old ECU or something once to have a look inside to see if I could spot what made it fail. Good luck with that. That is some tough stuff.

Anybody try acetone? You wouldn't use it on a painted surface if you care about it.

That stuff is horrible to clean off anything. Chrysler used it in the headlight modules on Daytonas and Lebarons in the late 80's, I've had 2 that leaked it out in my '87 Shelby Z...and of course, they mounted them under the top dash panel, so it runs all over the radio and harness, before it reaches the carpet... :(

Oddly enough, I haven't had any problem with the one in my '89 Turbo GTC... I wonder if not being used has some effect on it. The Z has sat far more than the GTC.

My brain lost it's goo sitting in a box along with the harness.
[/QUOTE] At least you know how you lost your goo... I don't have any goo left to figure out how I lost mine.

Auto Transport Service
Back