• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's talk about Retirement

I have one commercial rental and one apartment. It took a while but they are finally generating a profit. Wifey says time to sell because of the extra work, but she doesn’t do any of the work.

What would you do for free or what is your dream job? In other words, what are you retiring to? This discussion is for those considering retirement and folks who have already retired.
Be a reaper drone pilot, and do unspeakable things to russian armor, and, and personnel, yes, I would do it for free.

For free I would teach youngsters how to not be liberal deeeeemonrats. I will work until I die, or can't and I really don't need to work anymore. I have never met more miserable people than the retired that piss and moan about being on a fixed income....that is a trigger for me. I tell them tough **** we all are on a limited income. Self employed 49 years now, love it, hate it sometimes, but I get to pick and choose what I do and for who. It pisses the retired off so bad when they see the hotrods, and new cars, I say you made a choice that sucked, I didn't. It also pisses off the woke azzholes, they say you should give your business up for the younger crowd, give someone else a chance, I give them a price, they balk, I say thank you for making me more driven to never retire....they go ape ****. I guess I am already in my dream retirement by being successful and pissing lazy want everything for free losers off.

I retired at 55 in July of 2020. I had two main reasons to retire:
(1) Help my parents. My dad has Alzheimer's and so I want to spend time with him as well as help my mom as his disease progresses.
(2) Help my father-in-law with his business. I help him 2 days a week.

Sure, I could have worked a bit longer and made my retirement more comfortable and secure, but helping family is worth it. Once they are gone - they're gone...

Oh, and yes, I work on my cars too! :thumbsup:

Get some rental property and have someone else pay it for you!

Our two residential rentals pay 100% for themselves plus every single home related bill including the mortgage for the property we actually live in.

...and the commercial property pays for it's self and gives us some spending money every month.
Plus I get a 5 car capacity shop there, for free!
My renters called to tell me the air conditioning unit is out and the roof may be leaking.

So now I have to get up off the couch and beat the renters until their morale improves.

Work is never done.

My renters called to tell me the air conditioning unit is out and the roof may be leaking.

So now I have to get up off the couch and beat the renters until their morale improves.

Work is never done.
Just remove the plywood off the hole on the side of the double wide you covered last winter.

I realized from many of my colleagues that retired it's more important to be emotionally ready as financially ready to retire. I'm counting remaining paychecks (88) it feels better than months, weeks or days. I met with my financial planner today and the reality is, I want 2M to continue the lifestyle I currently enjoy and it will be there. I plan to keep the stable running, maintain the properties or sell, enjoy the lake and travel since I fly for free.

I retired after 35 years from the county. Got a pension and health benefits. Went to work for alban caterpillar for 8 years as a shop manager dumped my money in retirement accounts. They got bought up by Carter cat and I got let go so I retired.... for about a year
I got bored and not very productive. It wasn't good for me
Went back to work on small engines and love it. Family run local company and they are wonderful to work for.

When my retirement day arrives, September 2023, 299 actual work days left, but who is counting..ME!
I’ll be spending more time with the Charger and working full time with my Registered Maine Guide business, Sunkhaze Outfitters! Love being in the woods!

Let’s not forget, the wife will have plenty for me as well!

Couple pics from last years bear hunts and bruins we had on camera..
DFCEB6B2-3EF8-4555-9B94-1B6FE4FCB97D.jpeg
DCF41E2B-A7D5-4078-A439-0E634A8914F8.jpeg

I went to part time work 10 years ago, for myself (forensic engineering). I now am working between 25 and 35 hours per week and take off anytime for any length that I want. I make about triple (now) than at any time I worked full time for others. I raise my rates every year, hoping to lose clients, but even more come back. I was going to stop taking new cases last year, but I came to realize that the things I wanted to do in retirement are things I most likely won’t be able to do because of arthritis and other ailments. So I may keep busy by doing this job for myself. I am giving up on restoring my 1970 Roadrunner and Bensen B8M gyrocopter. I may still buy a plane because I love flying. I started a big garden last year for the wife, but I am the lucky guy who does most of the work on it. I also started writing a book about an early life experience (explosion in Korea), and I want to finish it as a good engineering guide on how to investigate complex events. My wife finally retired (attorney) two months ago, and she is finally enjoying doing all of the things she put off. She spends a lot of time doing interesting things with her recently retired girlfriend.

Life is short and no one ever laid on their deathbed saying “darn, I wish I could have worked one more day!”
4A1F0275-976F-4431-A659-D89E97D6F22C.jpeg
9DFAF425-219B-4289-BEBB-A47F837E3DAA.jpeg

I’m 54. I’ll work 6 or 7 more years and look to transition from a career to a job. I’ll still do all kinds of automotive work if my health allows at that point. I seem to be finding all kinds of chassis building work lately and that pays well.

I turn 62 in 10 months and 15 days.

But who's counting?

Auto Transport Service
Back