• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets Talk Heat Barriers

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:32 PM
Reaction score
After doing metal work on my car I can’t bring myself to put down any form of barrier that I would regret later that might melt degrade or permanently cover up the metal.

I went round and round on this from Dynamat and Eastwoods Xmat to Lizzard skin spray (which I like the best if I was to use) but all have one of those down sides.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

These treatments are very effective but if you ever want to remove to lighten it will be an issue. Good carpet with pad and insulation attached is much easier in and out. JMHO Dave

These treatments are very effective but if you ever want to remove to lighten it will be an issue. Good carpet with pad and insulation attached is much easier in and out. JMHO Dave
I didn’t know they made carpet kits with integrated heat barriers. That might be the ticket if they are any good.

Depends on what you are building. A restoration, daily driver, protouring, or what ever is in between. Here is what I like:
Restoration, original style carpet and padding
Daily Driver, original style carpet, padding with maybe a little extra sound deadening.
Protouring, I still like original carpet, add insulation, sound deadening and as many creature comforts as possible, because the car will probably never return to a stock configuration.

Depends on what you are building. A restoration, daily driver, protouring, or what ever is in between. Here is what I like:
Restoration, original style carpet and padding
Daily Driver, original style carpet, padding with maybe a little extra sound deadening.
Protouring, I still like original carpet, add insulation, sound deadening and as many creature comforts as possible, because the car will probably never return to a stock configuration.
This is a driving car no trailers required. The build theme is what if Plymouth built a 1970 Sport Satellite and offered a 340 for it!

This is a driving car no trailers required. The build theme is what if Plymouth built a 1970 Sport Satellite and offered a 340 for it!
If you are going to drive it, make it comfortable for you and your family. Creature comforts are nice, sound deadening helps. If you're going to add A/C or it already has it, insulate everything. Remember this is my opinion, and just what I would want. Let your budget be your guide.

If you are going to drive it, make it comfortable for you and your family. Creature comforts are nice, sound deadening helps. If you're going to add A/C or it already has it, insulate everything. Remember this is my opinion, and just what I would want. Let your budget be your guide.
Budget keeps saying no lol

I'm about ready to yank out all the pretty repro interior on the GTX and install some manner of
heat barrier and research is finding some perhaps non-automotive applications of foil-backed
insulation that isn't adhesive-backed.
The bonus, of course, is added sound insulation as well.
Wonder if that would work in a car?

FWIW, I restored a 69 Camaro and used Reflectix and it helped. I will use it, some insulation from JC Whitney and carpet with jute backing for my 70 RR. Reflectix is cheap and can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot.

I ordered this from Home Depot. Made with recycled blue jeans. No itchy scratchy. Flame resistant. Fairly easy to work with. I used spray adhesive to install. Cuts with a good pair of scissors. Not expensive at all when compared to other alternatives on the market. I feel no heat from the roof or floor during a drive. Quite in the car too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTouch-48-in-x-24-ft-Radiant-Barrier-30000-11424/100661257

20180307_225345-jpg.jpg
20180307_225024-jpg.jpg
20180307_225039-jpg.jpg

20180214_145310-jpg.jpg

20180225_161418.jpg

I am about 6 to 8 months into driving the latest edition of my Charger
This time I am enjoying driving it more and more

I have a whole lot more power but the car is completely more civilized

One of the reasons is the Hushmat we installed
The car is much quieter and the floor no longer burns my wife's feet if she goes barefoot

I read all the hype and chose Hushmat due to its claims as a heat barrier in addition to the sound deadener qualities

This isn't an ad for Hushmat itself but it is a good product other than it is heavy
Sound deadener is worth every penny and then some
(As is a quality exhaust with quality mufflers)

BTW I also did the carpet from stockinteriors.com with the Jute and the mass backing
I wanted power which I got but I will no longer settle for rough and noisy

I used the welding blanket from harbor freight to combat the heat. Cut to fit, sound deadening is also a bi- product. Especially under the rear seat over the mufflers and the transmission hump

I used the welding blanket from harbor freight to combat the heat. Cut to fit, sound deadening is also a bi- product. Especially under the rear seat over the mufflers and the transmission hump
What did you do to get it to stick? Did you glue it down?

I am about 6 to 8 months into driving the latest edition of my Charger
This time I am enjoying driving it more and more

I have a whole lot more power but the car is completely more civilized

One of the reasons is the Hushmat we installed
The car is much quieter and the floor no longer burns my wife's feet if she goes barefoot

I read all the hype and chose Hushmat due to its claims as a heat barrier in addition to the sound deadener qualities

This isn't an ad for Hushmat itself but it is a good product other than it is heavy
Sound deadener is worth every penny and then some
(As is a quality exhaust with quality mufflers)

BTW I also did the carpet from stockinteriors.com with the Jute and the mass backing
I wanted power which I got but I will no longer settle for rough and noisy
I hear that butyl breaks down with heat and can be a turd to try and remove later. Whats your experience with it? Hhave you inspected it?

I ordered this from Home Depot. Made with recycled blue jeans. No itchy scratchy. Flame resistant. Fairly easy to work with. I used spray adhesive to install. Cuts with a good pair of scissors. Not expensive at all when compared to other alternatives on the market. I feel no heat from the roof or floor during a drive. Quite in the car too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTouch-48-in-x-24-ft-Radiant-Barrier-30000-11424/100661257

View attachment 968834 View attachment 968835 View attachment 968836
View attachment 968837
View attachment 968832
How much did you use? Is it a self adhesive?

How much did you use? Is it a self adhesive?

I ordered the 48" x 24' roll and still had some left over. There's no adhesive on either side. I'd cut it to fit, then use spray adhesive like 3M adhesive on the felt side and to the surface. Stick it in place. You could get by with just using adhesive around the edges in some places. I removed the jute backing on my carpet before I installed it. Wish I would have ordered the carpet without it. It was a bear to get off and too thick to leave it on there when using the Home Depot insulation.

My Home Depot didn't stock it and what insulation they did have I didn't like. Order it from the link that I posted and it's shipped right to your door.

I hear that butyl breaks down with heat and can be a turd to try and remove later. Whats your experience with it? Hhave you inspected it?

I don't know that I will ever need to remove it
I have had to pull up a corner once or twice and yes its tough but not impossible

View attachment 968834 View attachment 968835 View attachment 968836
View attachment 968837
View attachment 968832
Nice, really clean install!

A bit late now, but personally, I would have installed it, foil-side down so the foil would block more of the heat from radiating into the thick padding. Not sure how much, or if, it would have made a difference, just my $0.02

Auto Transport Service
Back