• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's talk main bearings...

67Charger

Local time
1:18 PM
Reaction score
I'm going thorough a 50K mile '13 Durango 5.7 that had 50k on it and wiped the cam. There are a few embedded flecks of metal in the main bearings from the cam, so I'm replacing them.

What Clevite number should I be using? M2220 or M2296? A/P/H?
What part number for the thrust bearing?
What is the deal with "location 2" and "location 3"?
Are the main bolts TTY and therefore 1 time use? I keep seeing people talk about moving the oil pickup bolt to a different location, but that would require replacing it if they are 1 time use...

This will be used for light drag racing and open road racing, (Think Drag Week and Silver State Classic) and may eventually get some boost, but not likely ever be pushed past 550-600 HP. I'm going with the Comp Stage 1 kit for the cam and lifters for NA, and will swap it out if I go turbo..

A is for aluminum bearings, P is for Tri-Metal bearings, both are for normal passenger car applications.
H is for the High Performance version of the bearing. The HP bearings have hardened steel backs, no flash layer (WILL look black and blue, this is normal, DON'T try to clean this off), medium eccentricity, and high crush.

HP Bearings: MS-2220H in Std if you don't grind crank, and MS2220P for Tri-metal or MS2220A for Aluminum MS2296 is for 2015 and 2016, so not valid for you.

This main bearing set does NOT come with main thrust bearing. Main thrust bearing set is PN#TW611S. The thrust will only be Std size.

The HP catalog does not reference "Position 2" like the "Light Vehicle Bearing Catalog" does, so I would have to look at the block and OEM bearings.

It is very likely the head bolts are TTY, but the mains are not normally.

Auto Transport Service
Back