• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LGT 700

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:16 AM
Reaction score
Anyone ever heard or driven a car with this 5 speed in it? I’m on the hunt and have a few leads. It’s also cheaper than the a855 that Jamie is putting out by 2k from what I’ve found.

That's pretty niffty, especially with all the different shifter positions.

I’ve got a few calls into a few places and hopefully I’ll hear back from them tomorrow.

At 2k less than A855, I’m in.

I would be interested in what the "massive torque capacity" on their website really is.

Yep, I would like to see the torque spec on this trans.

They say it’ll hold 700lbft of torque.

Looks like a nice piece. Keep in mind that in a drag race application you need a soft-lock clutch or you will bust the strongest trans in the world. I have 2 friends that have beat their heads against the wall for 25+ yrs trying to use a manual and a puck clutch. Could build a complete car with the money they have wasted on broken parts!

need a soft-lock clutch or you will bust the strongest trans in the world
Never heard of a soft lock clutch???? Is that strictly a drag race application???
People have been racing 4 speeds for 60 years behind some pretty big numbers...with reasonable results, excluding the occasional clutch /flywheel explosion...but I think most of thats due to the inherent damage caused by hi heat and stress fractures to the flywheel ....which are not checked or even seen...
Agree that the clutch is the weak point but most racing & performance clutches increase clamp force, can't imagine anything soft in a manual doing good drag racing ....

It's an adjustable base rate pressure plate with centrifugal assist. The clutch slips when applied til the centrifugal comes in. It allows the car to leave without pulling the engine out of the optimum rpm range. The old days the tires weren't that good so that was the slip. As the tires got better the put more and more gear ratio till the clutch technology caught up. The radials now have to be dead hooked or they spin. That means clutch slippage. Yes it is a race only worry but guys that want to do both need a good clutch.

I’m also looking at this, I have my name in at Passion for the 855 but from what I’m reading the LGT 700 is available in 2 weeks of order. And Passion is a couple years out.

First time of me hearing about this trans. How long has it been out?

For quite sometime, but it’s been hard to find anyone that sells them for some reason.

Wow! Looks much smaller than most 5 speeds too. Don’t think there would be any tunnel surgery using that. Nice!

C04F22E2-4C7D-4402-9C51-ABDCF1086CA6.jpeg

$3394.shipped.

I love my Passon 855...
I am watching this and any other heavy duty aftermarket standard transmission thread though, because the GTO may need a 5 speed!

I have one in my Convertible. Got it back years ago when Keisler was selling the kit. The original "kit" angled the back of the trans down to clear the T-Bar crossmember. That did not work for me as the headers hit the suspension. Modified to rise trans in tunnel as below.
To install the trans with the output at the correct stock location, the T-Bar crossmember needs to be cut to widen it. he shifter comes straight off the top, so a hole for the shifter needs to be cut in the top of the trans tunnel for the new shifter location. They did sell an offset shifter handle so the shifter comes through the center console in the correct position. It actually shifts pretty good. Another issue is the location of the speedometer cable connection that comes out right next to the T-bar crossmember, so the cable takes a fairly sharp bend.

trans2.jpg

I did box in the open part of the T-bar crossmember where it was cut as shown above. Note hole in tunnel floor for shifter.

Auto Transport Service
Back