• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lift Drip Protector

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:34 PM
Reaction score
For those with two post lifts: Anybody find a good way to protect a car parked underneath from drips?

Like in the picture, you can always drape stuff over the car that is parked underneath. Anybody have any ideas to make it easier if you want to regularly pull that in and out?

20111122_1038.jpg

Maybe you could attach plastic (like a tarp) to the bottom of lift/car?

A lift, a window, and an A/C! Man I am envious

I feel very fortunate to have what I have, but it has taken years to slowly get there. The only problem is the job that has helped pay for that eats up all of my time! If it makes you feel any better, the A/C doesn't do squat to make it nicer in there because the garage is not insulated and has lots of airflow - so I almost never run it.

sublimegtx said:
Maybe you could attach plastic (like a tarp) to the bottom of lift/car?
That's what I have been thinking about - Like maybe making a rectangle out of furring strips or something and then attaching plastic inside it. Just not sure how best to make it functional and work well. That's why I am hoping from some genius ideas from the forum!!! :eek:ccasion14:

I feel very fortunate to have what I have, but it has taken years to slowly get there. The only problem is the job that has helped pay for that eats up all of my time! If it makes you feel any better, the A/C doesn't do squat to make it nicer in there because the garage is not insulated and has lots of airflow - so I almost never run it.

That's what I have been thinking about - Like maybe making a rectangle out of furring strips or something and then attaching plastic inside it. Just not sure how best to make it functional and work well. That's why I am hoping from some genius ideas from the forum!!! :eek:ccasion14:

you could attach it / make it easily removable by using magnets at the corners sides ... magnets on the bottom of the plastic or attached to the furring strips.

Stacking up yellow cars like chord wood over there.

tallhair said:
you could attach it / make it easily removable by using magnets at the corners sides ... magnets on the bottom of the plastic or attached to the furring strips.
Now you're thinkin!!! Great idea - I have to think about that some...:wtg:

Stacking up yellow cars like chord wood over there.
:toothy10::toothy9:

I use washing machine drip pans. The are pretty big, and two will cover everything from the radiator to the tail shaft. I've been using them for years. Easily available at Home Dopo. You can either put a towel on the bottom car and just lay the pans on the car, or use the magnet idea, that sounds great too. I have two four post lifts and plan on spanning the ramps with the pans or 2x4s.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/step/0,,20052014_683999,00.html

I like these ideas. Using furring strips seems like a pain, but would be needed to keep sheet plastic flat. The idea of using washing machine drip pans (or other lightweight formed plastic) sounds like a great idea. Now to combine that with the ideas of magnets or some quick and easy method to attach them to the bottom of the car or the lift and we're in business.

Maybe it's time to head to store and see what I can come up with...

Thanks for the ideas!

You would probably want some pretty strong magnets. I know my dad would bring some broken or otherwise used up ones. He built tires at Firestone T&R in Decatur, IL and they had them in some of the machinery and would get discarded once in a while, so that might be a source if the are discarded in a industrial op and a member has access. Another option would be if you hook up with someone who for whatever reason deal with/has a lot of old speakers, maybe a recycling operations? Speakers have some pretty strong magnets. IDK what good magnets cost at wherever you can buy magnets.

I was thinking about it on my way to work earlier (back home now) and if you had some good thick, probably clear, plastics would be best so you can see accumulation and not get a surprise when you take it down/off. Once the car is up on the lift you could pretty easily use the magnets w/o any furring strips (thinking of how they would go under lift arms AND attach to car) to secure the plastic to whatever .. car floor, lift arms all the way along and across once the car is up in the air.

If you're looking for genius ideas you've come to the wrong place :)

OK. I meant genius in a redneck kind of way...

:sixpack:

OK. I meant genius in a redneck kind of way...

:sixpack:

Well, in that case, I've got an ideer.....go with something rigid instead of plastic, so there's like a "floor" under the upper car.....

How about making a cheesy "net" using the cheap 1" wide ratchet tie down straps and strap them on the lift foot/riser pins so they span across from one side to the other right beneath the upper car. You can use two, one across the front and one across the rear or even add 2 more to add an "X" of webbing under the upper car, then slide a lightweight sheet of something, like masonite or foam board on top of the straps. This way there's no magnets or bungees to fart with, just slide the sheet out, unbuckle the straps and you're on a roll. One possibly downside, the rigid floor might be more appealing to curious mice compared to loose plastic or a tarp.

The only argument I'd have against something like Masonite is that it will absorb oil, which will create a fire hazard. I know the fire department frowns big time on using anything like that to catch drips.

The magnet is a good idea. I know for a fact that someone makes a rubberized magnetic strip in roll/tape form. Think "fridge magnet" material! That, and a plastic diaper under the upper car would do the job.

The magnet is a good idea. I know for a fact that someone makes a rubberized magnetic strip in roll/tape form. Think "fridge magnet" material! That, and a plastic diaper under the upper car would do the job.

I've used that stuff lots of times, and it's great and you can cut it with some good scissors. It's excellent for making magnetic labels or turning light stuff into a fridge or garage magnet.

If you want to use mags., then use Earth Magnets, very strong. I just used a blue tarp & attach it with those plastic hand clamps, works for me.

If you want to use mags., then use Earth Magnets, very strong. I just used a blue tarp & attach it with those plastic hand clamps, works for me.

You might have the right idea. Simple is almost always better.

Anyway, I bought a 4' x 8' piece of galvanized roofing material. I have to head to Florida to help my parents move, but when I get back I will try my hand at cutting it up to fit on the lift. Maybe it will work well; then again maybe I'll just cut up my hands and swear. I'll post once I get it done (or fail) and let you all now how I make out...

Thanks,

Auto Transport Service
Back