• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lifter Bore Damage

unclepunchy

Local time
4:06 AM
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I noticed a piece of the casting at the bottom of my lifter bore is chipped out. Anything to worry about - should I smooth it out with the die grinder?

IMG-3573.JPG

That is not the lifter bore. It is the outside if it.

what is this engine and what is it used for?

Should be fine on a mild engine. yes smooth it out.

Very unusual for a piece to come out in that spot! Please clean the bore with carb cleaner
to remove ALL of the oil and also clean a good lifter the same way and check the bore for
size/wobble. If the bore is wallowed out on the bottom, you'll have to have it bushed! No
getting around that! While you're at it, check them all!

Smooth out the edges.
Check and make sure there is still enough
metal left around the lifter bore to have good support.
If not = I would advise bushing that one lifter bore for
support. It is not a hard machine operation.
I often bush all 16 on my engines.

I would at least check for any possible burr, and then broach the bore to make sure it feels right. Oddly enough, it looks like it just happened.... Any clue how???

Doesn't look too bad but I would smooth it out. Hopefully it's the drivers side.

does the lifter move up and down smoothly with
no binding?
If so you are fine

Hi John, Yes it moves nicely and no side-play.

I would guess there isn't much pressure on the sidewall of the bore anyways? Mostly vertical up/down movement.

Forgot to say.....may not be a bad idea to find the chunk and throw it out lol.

You can give the lifter bores a light hone with a brake hone if you need to.
Main thing is the lifter is free to rotate in the bore - if it moves smoothly you should be OK.

Have a good look for cracks, if you don't know the reason why that piece broke there could be a crack going up the lifter bore.

Auto Transport Service
Back