• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lifter seat height on a Big Block, HELP!

1968rt

Local time
8:39 AM
Reaction score
Anyone know the lifter seat height for hydraulic lifters from lets say 1955 -1970. Im aware that the pushrod cup changed in 68, but what about the seat height? From what I was able to research early seat height was 1.814 (up to 1959) Later seat height 1.795 (up to 1978) Can you interchange early and late? any help would be appreciated.

The 67 and earlier pushrods, with the 1/4” tip at the lifter end, are longer.
66-67 440 = 9.375”
68-78 440 = 9.315”

The lifters don’t “interchange” with the 68-newer........ unless you swap the lifters and the pushrods.

In other words, the lifters and pushrods must both be for either 67-older, or 68-newer.

Last edited:
I understand I will need the correct pushrod ball size and length. Im just curious to the cup height

I understand I will need the correct pushrod ball size and length. Im just curious to the cup height[/QUOTE
Take a caliper and measure overall lifter height. then use the bottom of the caliper and measure cup depth then subtract that from the overall figure , should be cup height.

Auto Transport Service
Back