• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lifters leaking ?

Mikke H

Local time
7:23 AM
Reaction score
Pulled the engine all stock 440 for an oil leak issue heads off started to push down the lifter plungers of 16 lifters 7 was soft the other 9 rock hard is this normal or do i have leaking lifters ? No noises a slight miss when running can the miss be a leaking lifter ?

Of the 9 that are stiff can you spin the pushrod or are they tight as well?

How much time you have on the engine?
Hydraulic lifters when at a static state the inner plunger/cup should have a little movement up and down with some resistance, this is the internal spring returning the cup back to the extent of travel. Once the lifters are pressurized the resistance becomes greater due to hydraulics, hence the name. If you have lifters that the inside won't move freely then there's a good chance their full of crap and can be cleaned and re-used if the wear isn't abnormal. I always change my lifters when I rip into a engine because they're not all that expensive and it's cheap insurance... but that's just me. Before anyone goes postal, it's acceptable to install new lifters with a used cam but not the other way around. If you do have the chance, change the timing chain and sprockets as well if your engine has some miles on it. You won't regret it..

How much time you have on the engine?
Hydraulic lifters when at a static state the inner plunger/cup should have a little movement up and down with some resistance, this is the internal spring returning the cup back to the extent of travel. Once the lifters are pressurized the resistance becomes greater due to hydraulics, hence the name. If you have lifters that the inside won't move freely then there's a good chance their full of crap and can be cleaned and re-used if the wear isn't abnormal. I always change my lifters when I rip into a engine because they're not all that expensive and it's cheap insurance... but that's just me. Before anyone goes postal, it's acceptable to install new lifters with a used cam but not the other way around. If you do have the chance, change the timing chain and sprockets as well if your engine has some miles on it. You won't regret it..
i agree with 68 also remember as the engine runs and the cam is at the top it can bleed down after shutting down dosent sound like a problem .if the lifter has clasped then a loud ticking noise would be heard while running.

Im thinking lifter wear the lifter wont hold presuare the problem is i do not know how long the lifters have run .I hawe had liftersets taken off a engine stored for years and still being rock hard and not loosing any pressuare !

Something else to remember. Not all lifters (brands) are made the same. Some, even new, no good, too much clearance on the piston (cup), and the like.
Could just be poorly made lifters.

Getting quality lifters today is tough. Every production car has gone roller. Only 1 or2 lifter is manufactuars now. Some will bleed as the valve springs on the open valves have constant pressure on them. Think about it. If they didn't bleed at all, they wouldnt function. If they dont make noise running after a minute I wouldnt condemn them.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back