• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lifting my 67 Charger for blasting

chrisd

Local time
8:43 AM
Reaction score
I plan on someone doing a dustless blast on my 67 Charger soon. They say they will do the underside and interior as well but I need to raise or tilt the car. Any ideas? I have an old A frame but not sure that I trust a come a long to lift it. Plus, I'm not sure I can get it high enough yet. I'd like to get as much done on the car as possible.

20190302_131244.jpg

Is that A Frame steel? It looks that way but could blow your picture up. Looks beefy. Just get the right weight rated rigging and straps to lift the car. If you pick up one end at a time it’ll be high enough. They guy that does my blasting just lifts one end at a time with a skid steer and then put big saw horses under the end that’s up.

I would also take the rear and k-frame out. Disassemble as much as you can.

The A frame is 4" steel pipe. My wife's gparents used it for working in tractors back in the 70's. I guess my issue is figuring out what to use to lift it. If I pull the k frame and rear end, moving the car will become my issue.

You can build a dollie that attaches to the to the front leaf spring mounts. Up front do the same and attach to front bumper bracket holes. Casters from HF and angle iron you’ll have $150-$200 wrapped up assuming you have a welder and chop saw.

Least expensive (safe) way to lift would be a 2-ton chain hoist. HF has those too.

That sounds pretty inexpensive to get the results I want.

Is that the water blasting method? It still leaves a big mess... we did a 60 Ventura that way.. it took two months to get all the crap out.. of all the nooks and crannies..

Is that the water blasting method? It still leaves a big mess... we did a 60 Ventura that way.. it took two months to get all the crap out.. of all the nooks and crannies..
Yes. A guy I work with did it and recommended it

My 65 Dodge had a right quarter that was a mess. Car had just the rear diff in it. No fenders no interior so it was light. Put a mounted tire under right rear wheel, hooked a tow strap under car on passengers side. Forget where ran it under car to driver's side. Put a 1/2 ton chain hoist about 8 to10 feet in a tree on passenger's side. Took the tow strap on driver's side passed it over the roof and hooked it to the hook on chain hoist. Slowly put the car on its side short of rolling over. Put two 2x6's to keep it from falling, a Darwin award special. Rented a diesel compressor you see for jackhammers. and a sandblaster and 300 lbs sand for blasting. One day to blast and prime second day to paint. If the passenger quart was good we wouldn't have damaged it. The car had solid floors. Sand came out of frame rails for a long time jacking it up and down. We blew it out real well right after blasting but it still had sand hidden inside.

Last edited:
I wonder what happened to places like Redi Strip? Seems to me that would be the way to go. I used Redi-Strip in Tampa,Fl on a 1959 plymouth project, fenders doors,hood,deck lid etc. Then divorce happened.....i miss that '59

Auto Transport Service
Back