• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lifting rearend 69 RR

koosh

Local time
9:33 AM
Reaction score
Ok guys....made a decision. Gonna remove my leafs and have them re-arched, plus have a leaf added to each. 1/2 the price of new ones, so figured worth a try.....now, can anyone give me the sequence or procedure to remove and replace leaf springs?
Thanks in advance

:eek:
beerestoration2015 299.JPG
beerestoration2015 301.JPG
beerestoration2015 355.JPG
beerestoration2015 356.JPG

Great pics! But no lift here, so second choice would be the one....whats the sequence?

Use two trolley jacks, lift the car in front of the front rear spring hangar high enough to get the THREE jack stands under the AXLE and Pumkin. Undo the U bolts on the spring retainer / shock attach plate and then lower the car down a bit. Be sure to use jack stands under the car when working as well. Then remove the front hangar bolts as shown in pic #2 in my 1st post and pull the entire spring assemblies out to work on easier.

Glad to see you raising instead of lowering! We need more of the old school, aggresive look! I realize it's just my opinion, but I'm right.... Ha!

LOL, 'dadsbee' kinda got it. But, at my age i wud sit it on the tires,pop the nuts off frt hanger & rear shackles(d/shaft unhooked) and then take off the lower shock nuts & remove leaf paks. Acetylene torch never hurts tho! Im thinking my garage with no frame lift.

Ok guys....made a decision. Gonna remove my leafs and have them re-arched, plus have a leaf added to each. 1/2 the price of new ones, so figured worth a try.....now, can anyone give me the sequence or procedure to remove and replace leaf springs?
Thanks in advance
I wouldn't add a leaf. It will make it may make it quite stiff. Get a pair of springs from ESPO. They have stock and 1 and 2" overs.
http://www.springsnthings.com/

Use two trolley jacks, lift the car in front of the front rear spring hangar high enough to get the THREE jack stands under the AXLE and Pumkin. Undo the U bolts on the spring retainer / shock attach plate and then lower the car down a bit. Be sure to use jack stands under the car when working as well. Then remove the front hangar bolts as shown in pic #2 in my 1st post and pull the entire spring assemblies out to work on easier.
Sooo, jack up car via the frame, put in the 3 jacks, then lower onto the jacks? Then remove ubolts? Then front hangars?

Watching I'm going to tackle this on my road runner over thanksgiving holiday.

20180928_181101.jpg

..and rear shackle bolts, take the complete spring assembly out. You are lowering the car so the axle JUST starts to sit on the stands. Remove U bolt nuts and then lower the car another inch or so and jack stand in place. This will let the spring retainer bolts "stub" come out of the axle locator hole.

Sooo, jack up car via the frame, put in the 3 jacks, then lower onto the jacks? Then remove ubolts? Then front hangars?
I probably do overkill with jacks....But I use two tall 12 ton jack stands under the rear frame rails by the exhaust tips, two smaller stands under the frame rail in front of the front spring shackle. Then I take a floor jack under the pumpkin....

Remove the four U bolts...jack up the rear end off the springs....Remove the springs...lower the rear and pull the rear end out using the floor jack, spring the rear a bit to clear the jack stands...

I probably do overkill with jacks....But I use two tall 12 ton jack stands under the rear frame rails by the exhaust tips, two smaller stands under the frame rail in front of the front spring shackle. Then I take a floor jack under the pumpkin....

Remove the four U bolts...jack up the rear end off the springs....Remove the springs...lower the rear and pull the rear end out using the floor jack, spring the rear a bit to clear the jack stands...
Remove the rear end?.???

If your just doing the springs, than no you dont but you already knew that I hope....

Sorry, I was just going through my normal process of rear removal....
Gotcha! Thanks! :thumbsup:

It rode like a lumber truck. Just sayin'
My 69 coronet 1a.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back