• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Light weight sound/heat underlay

Local time
2:59 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys, my car is at the paint shop waiting for paint. Meanwhile I'm planning door panels and carpeting.
Is there any one brand that stands out for being light weight and still doing the job of sound and heat deadening ?

Sound deadening will need to have some mass to it to do the job of preventing the 'drum' effect you get with large metal panels. The butyl products like FatMat/Dynamat do this well. You don't need 100% coverage.

Most heat insulations trap air to do its job, so a closed cell foam works well, and is very light. Others use non-heat-conductive materials like ceramic, like the LizardSkin spray products.

You will get a lot of opinions here. I used Dynamat and put a closed cell foam on top of it. https://www.amazon.com/Noico-Insula...Material/dp/B07TKXMPH7/ref=asc_df_B07TKXMPH7/

If you really want to geek out on the topic there is lots of great info here: https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

I suspect Dynamite is quite popular. Is it heavy ? I'm just trying to educate myself a bit before l go see the upholstery guy. Thanks for the links

We used Peel n seal from Lowe's when doing car audio. Lots cheaper than Dynamat. Does the same thing. It needs to be warm to get good layout with it tho.

I'm sure there's lots of others out there. We tried some other stuff that didn't stick very well. It was ordered online, very cheap stuff.

Right now my car has a bare floor with spray on rock guard, no door panels and a electric fuel pump. It's quite Loud. I think that Norco Red 150 mil and carpet will be enough to take the edge off. Thanks for your help

The Dynamat stuff is pretty heavy, if you get the 36 sq ft box it's probably 30 lbs.

The Noico stuff will help a lot with heat, just make sure you cover your surfaces as much as you can. Not as helpful for sound, but it's better than nothing. It is self-stick and pretty easy to work with. I put it inside the doors, behind the rear quarter glass and as much of the main cabin as I could. A lot of heat transfers through the firewall, so try to get it as high up as you can.

Good luck!

I did the whole interior of my 66 Satellite and it weighed 44 lbs, but it's spread low and over a large surface area so it's not noticeable. It's not like putting heavy stuff just in one place - the other day I put 6 bags of premixed concrete in the trunk (264 lbs) and when I accelerated onto the freeway the front end was up like a speedboat.

Auto Transport Service
Back