• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Local ON-LINE Auctions

greycharger

Local time
9:18 AM
Reaction score
On Line Auctions started here about a year ago. I have mixed feelings, liking some aspects, but I miss the "story telling" and news updates. Just wondering if anybody else has tried them.

I tried https://www.iaai.com/ online because their yards in Savannah, Macon, and Atlanta, Georgia aren't too far away for me inspect the vehicles in person. Also, I bid on some cars and trucks as far away as Charlotte NC & Richmond, VA., but did not win any.

Most of the cars sell for way too much. I could buy the same cars in better condition and cheaper than what is being auctioned off. Some cars at the auction yards can be purchased prior to the auction for a set price. Those were too high priced.

People get auction fever on-line and at the yards. The feverish bidding reaches stupid levels.

Some cars at the auctions are only available for bidding by a licensed dealer. You could either hire a dealer to bid for you, or hire a third party to bid for you. More sunk costs. These cars are offered to the public if they haven't sold to dealers after several auctions. Go figure.

Another facet is bidding on luxury European cars and some Japanese SUVs. There are bidders in the middle east, parts of the former Soviet Republic that bid those cars totally out of sight. The bidders in Mexico love Japanese SUVs and bid those high too. I could get better and cheaper at local dealerships.

I looked at some other on-line auction websites, but it looked like auction fever ruled supreme.

I could probably make money with auction buys if I focused on a couple of popular vehicles and then parted them out for eBay sales. However, I have other things that I would rather do with my time.

Auto Transport Service
Back