• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Locking Seat Backs

66 Sat

Local time
7:15 PM
Reaction score
My '66 Satellite has buckets that tilt forward but have no locking method (as do all '66 models I assume). Coupled with lap belts and no headrests I'm thinking this would be pretty bad in the event of a crash.
Anyway, I'm on a mission to try to improve things. I've locked the seat backs with a few brackets from the hardware store - I removed the nut that the seat back rests on, slid them over the thread and then bolted them on. I'm going to get some headrests from the wreckers next week and get them re-covered to match the seats - there's enough meat in the top rail of the seat to drill into and I'll fabricate a support halfway down the seat back. Then I have to investigate some 3 point seatbelts although I'm not keen on removing the headlining to install an anchor point.
Access to the rear seats is tight now, but ok if I slide the seat forward. Not ideal but will do for now.
20210807_153418.jpg
20210808_163015.jpg

There’s a lot of things bad that can happen to you in a 55 year old car in a collision. If it makes you feel a bit safer more power to you. But keeping your head on a swivel and watching out for every car in the vicinity and keeping some distance all around you are the best bet. I’ve got 4 - 55 +/- old cars and there’s not a one of them I feel comfortably safe in, driving in today’s crazy traffic with it’s crazy drivers.

There’s a lot of things bad that can happen to you in a 55 year old car in a collision. If it makes you feel a bit safer more power to you. But keeping your head on a swivel and watching out for every car in the vicinity and keeping some distance all around you are the best bet. I’ve got 4 - 55 +/- old cars and there’s not a one of them I feel comfortably safe in, driving in today’s crazy traffic with it’s crazy drivers.
Agreed. When I first started driving my father showed me a lot of pics like this. Made a huge impact on me, even at 17 years old.

DF4E0213-D745-4DEC-9F81-18328342421E.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back