• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lokar Kickdown with original throttle cable?

Billccm

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:50 AM
Reaction score
Hello All.
I recently acquired a 1967 Coronet with a 440 and 727. It has the stock throttle cable and kick down bell crank mess. I have tried adjusting the rods and bending new geometry, but still not satisfied with the shifting.
I've used the Bouchillon solution on my other car (road runner), but I have been told the Lokar solution is easier and lower cost.
ANYHOW, I was going to order this
Lokar KD-2727HT Lokar Hi-Tech Kickdown Kits | Summit Racing
If I interpret the instructions correctly it seems they assume you have a Lokar throttle cable. Some of the reviews says, "you need to order a bracket".
So, can I keep the original throttle cable and get a Loakr kickdown, or should I just go back to Bouchillion?
Thanks for the advice.

I use a Lokar kickdown cable and what appears to be the stock throttle cable. I have an adjustable bracket that accommodates the throttle and kickdown. I purchased it on eBay from Richard Ehrenberg, works decently.

Last edited:
Hello All.
I recently acquired a 1967 Coronet with a 440 and 727. It has the stock throttle cable and kick down bell crank mess. I have tried adjusting the rods and bending new geometry, but still not satisfied with the shifting.
I've used the Bouchillon solution on my other car (road runner), but I have been told the Lokar solution is easier and lower cost.
ANYHOW, I was going to order this
Lokar KD-2727HT Lokar Hi-Tech Kickdown Kits | Summit Racing
If I interpret the instructions correctly it seems they assume you have a Lokar throttle cable. Some of the reviews says, "you need to order a bracket".
So, can I keep the original throttle cable and get a Loakr kickdown, or should I just go back to Bouchillion?
Thanks for the advice.
I purchased the bracket and went Lokar cables for both, throttle and kick down. Ended up just being easier to get adjusted correctly. Works great. Looking at the bracket, I bet you could still use original throttle cable. May take a little figuring.
Heres the bracket. Pretty clean and easy.
E1427E2B-5081-46B1-9D5B-BF4D6315D761.jpeg

Im about to run that setup on my Swinger. Someone had already butchered the stock throttle bracket on the 383. So I smoothed it out and added a hole to mount the lokar cable. I’ll get some pics later today.

Stock throttle cable with Mancini's (Lokar clone) kickdown and aftermarket throttle bracket that is adjustable.
Bracket maybe Mancini's too,can't remember.

IMG_0001.jpg

I just installed the Lokar cable kickdown on my Charger with the original throttle cable bracket and an eddie carb, I had to do a little fabricating to the Lokar bracket to get the kickdown cable to the lower outside bracket on the carb. Simple, easy to adjust and works perfect.

Just a $2 powder coated bracket from the hardware store and some hardware. I’ve got everything apart right now, I’ll snap more pictures once it’s all installed.

1A62162A-17E7-4019-A694-4557F2F02F68.jpeg

5A69B781-5A7F-4559-8AA7-F27222EC1F1E.jpeg

7B7AFC00-458B-481E-9811-10B31F9D9AF9.jpeg

EF5F14B9-6967-4439-AB4D-CC4F0B04DE2A.jpeg

A287FE31-938F-417D-ADEE-232A81CD01A4.jpeg

I just installed the Lokar cable kickdown on my Charger with the original throttle cable bracket and an eddie carb, I had to do a little fabricating to the Lokar bracket to get the kickdown cable to the lower outside bracket on the carb. Simple, easy to adjust and works perfect.
Does the Lokar bracket come with the cable or is it another part to purchase?
If you have a picture I would be grateful.

You didn’t state which carb you have.

A stock throttle cable set up and a Lokar cable for the trans kick down lever is a little home fashioning of sheet metal. Below I used a .060 thick sheet from the local hardware store and made the bracket attached to a TQ.

The Edelbrock lever adapter above with the home made bracket was pretty cool. In my particular case, I have a TQ on a M1 single plane for a small block. While I am using a full Lokar set up, the TQ and other “MoPar” carbs have a small throttle arm on the carb. The Edelbrock adapter can not bolt onto it. I used the throttle cable attachment point for the carb stud to secure it there and to stop it from rotating, a second hole was drilled matching a hole on the throttle arm. Not yet bolted down on the picture below.

The small plate I made below was cut out with an air nibbler, smoothed with a grinding wheel and then drilled out. I made a few attempts to get to the final make below. Basically, the holes drilled out are in the same spot as the Edelbrock adapter except there on a flat metal tab. Since the relationship ship is the same as the Edelbrock carb adapter, trans operation is not effected.

At the rear of the carb, the Lokar bracket is to short. Again with the nibbler cutting the sheet metal, a basic plate was cut and holes drilled in an effort to keep the cables straight in and out of the sleeve.

91DED57B-255B-4FB2-B8B3-ECE30DC19A53.jpeg

0ADC0A62-AEDF-4CDA-988C-174203262E4C.jpeg
E42A57B0-C11C-4974-850D-3B410EC4266E.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.
It's an Edlebrock 1406 carb.

What I'm hearing here is the Lokar is not plug and play with the stock throttle cable, correct?

I'll look at the Mancini solution.

The Bouchillion solution is $$$, but it was plug and play with a stock throttle cable. I believe it took be all of 15 minutes to install and adjust.

Thanks for the replies.
It's an Edlebrock 1406 carb.

What I'm hearing here is the Lokar is not plug and play with the stock throttle cable, correct?
Kind of correct. It is a simple operation.
Once you cut & swap out the OE cables & kick down, it all bolts up. Cutting the cable to length is the hardest part. It is easy to do.
I'll look at the Mancini solution.

The Bouchillion solution is $$$, but it was plug and play with a stock throttle cable. I believe it took be all of 15 minutes to install and adjust.
I haven’t used anything but the Lokar set up.

Auto Transport Service
Back