• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

long neck 727 on a 318 please help

levicah

Local time
10:08 AM
Reaction score
So many ways to phrase this question.

Trans ready to come down. The rear torsion bar support will not let this happen as the trans extension runs above and past the support by several inches. Nothing I've read describes this situation. Because the shorter 904 usually came on the 318, I'm thinking somebody stabbed the motor and trans together. What would you do? Can I remove the trans extension and output shaft in car? One thing is for sure, The trans has to go forward to clear the torsion support. Please, can some one help?

So many ways to phrase this question.

Trans ready to come down. The rear torsion bar support will not let this happen as the trans extension runs above and past the support by several inches. Nothing I've read describes this situation. Because the shorter 904 usually came on the 318, I'm thinking somebody stabbed the motor and trans together. What would you do? Can I remove the trans extension and output shaft in car? One thing is for sure, The trans has to go forward to clear the torsion support. Please, can some one help?
on what car? Removing the output shaft in car is not likely to be easy, that shaft is held on by a snap ring internally, and under the trans mount, its a PITA even on a bench.

That said, unbolting the engine mounts and sliding the whole thing forward a few inches is gonna be easier.

on what car? Removing the output shaft in car is not likely to be easy, that shaft is held on by a snap ring internally, and under the trans mount, its a PITA even on a bench.

That said, unbolting the engine mounts and sliding the whole thing forward a few inches is gonna be easier.

Thanks for the reply!! It's a 74' satellite. I think your idea makes the most sense so far...you would think I shouldnt have to go through all this. So this means the trans is a mod that happened when the motor was out. Probably. What are the thoughts of cutting a channel in the rear torsion support and bolting removable gussets for next time? In over my head for sure.

Thanks for the reply!! It's a 74' satellite. I think your idea makes the most sense so far...you would think I shouldnt have to go through all this. So this means the trans is a mod that happened when the motor was out. Probably. What are the thoughts of cutting a channel in the rear torsion support and bolting removable gussets for next time? In over my head for sure.
I wouldn't. Its been awhile since I've been under a 3rd gen, but I'm fairly certain the transmission crossmember un-bolts already, held in by 4 bolts if I recall right

yep, it does have the removalable c-member. This is directly from the FSM

transcmemberremoval.PNG

I wouldn't. Its been awhile since I've been under a 3rd gen, but I'm fairly certain the transmission crossmember un-bolts already, held in by 4 bolts if I recall right

Thanks dukeboy...no, the torsion bar support is right behind the trans mount cross member, cross member IS removed. I'm just wondering what would happen if I did cut the torsion support without removing or adjusting the torsion bars. I suspect all hell would break loose or would it? I'm pretty sure this trans is longer than the one the car came with.

Thanks dukeboy...no, the torsion bar support is right behind the trans mount cross member, cross member IS removed. I'm just wondering what would happen if I did cut the torsion support without removing or adjusting the torsion bars. I suspect all hell would break loose or would it? I'm pretty sure this trans is longer than the one the car came with.
got any pics? I'm having trouble visualizing what youre talking about.

got any pics? I'm having trouble visualizing what youre talking about.
I'll get some pict's tonight lol...visualise a big *** welded crossmember with 2 torsion bars bolted to it, a few inches past the removable cross member. I havent found this issue anywhere, but I do appreciate your willingness to help a newb!

I'll get some pict's tonight lol...visualise a big *** welded crossmember with 2 torsion bars bolted to it, a few inches past the removable cross member. I havent found this issue anywhere, but I do appreciate your willingness to help a newb!
i'll do my best, its been 10 years since I've been under a 74 though. are you pulling the engine as well?

i'll do my best, its been 10 years since I've been under a 74 though. are you pulling the engine as well?

Thats the thing! I just need to go over the trans and replace some dried out seals. The car drove beautifully before I put it up on blocks 14 yrs ago! I dont want this anymore complicated than it has to be. The 318 had been rebuilt before I bought it.

here it tis...I wanna cut that brace so bad I can taste it. How difficult are torsion bars to deal with? The last photo shows the mount brace removed. just to be clear.

DSC00391.JPG DSC00392.JPG DSC00399.JPG DSC00396.JPG

do u have room enough if u unbolt trans and slide trans back then down and out with torq or with out ,

I have a 75 manual and they say after everything is disconnected a slight downward angle of the front of tranny will be the way to remove it. They do mention the torsion bar anchor crossmember which remains in place while tilting tranny front downward. It seems like R,W,S & X car lines have this anchor. Good luck getting it out.

I have a 75 manual and they say after everything is disconnected a slight downward angle of the front of tranny will be the way to remove it. They do mention the torsion bar anchor crossmember which remains in place while tilting tranny front downward. It seems like R,W,S & X car lines have this anchor. Good luck getting it out.

Ok. I thought this may work but wanted to see it in writing before trying to tilt a 160lb trans and if it will in fact clear the motor...this will make my cheapy trans jack usless. will have to figure how to support a trans at that angle...it will be steep.

Don't forget to support rear of the engine and maybe it could be lifted a little to facilitate the front of tranny having more room to come out.

Thanks everybody! Unless torsion bars are easy to deal with...I'll try tilting the front down. Any suggestions on how to do this safely?? I can see my trans jack spitting out from under the trans or falling over.

I've done this a few times recently on my 74 charger. without removing the torsion bar cross member, you will need to secure the torque converter in it's place and support the engine before removing the trans bell housing bolts and starter. you will have to tilt the front of the trans down and slide it forward. it will work just go slow and support the trans . use gravity as a tool . drain the fluid and keep the area dry. I used an old blanket to drop the trans on and used it to slide it out from under the car.

The book also mentions keeping the Torque converter on the tranny with a c clamp, but I can't see the purpose of that in the removal process. I could see it in installation of tranny. Maybe a more educated response from someone who has removed tranny's in this car line can chime in and say if that is really necessary to keep converter on in removal.

Auto Transport Service
Back