• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LONG RANGE SHOTTING SHOTTING

NOSTRT980

Local time
1:19 PM
Reaction score
I have a chance to pick up a Ruger Precision rifle, not cheap but almost 1/2 selling price. I belong to a gun club that has a senior long range shoot every so often. Any one have a Ruger .308 and what do you think of it before I pull the trigger. LOL

1/2 price? Why are you even asking?!!!! I’m getting too decrepit for CF w/o padding on the shoulder. Long ranged in Pa. oughta be anything over 200yds IMO, clear out to 1000. Ain’t no “wussies” in Pa.!! Now that I’m thinking, what’s the name/location of club?

oldbee, wanted to find out anyone shooting that ruger before I buy, and if they like it.

Wish I could post videos on here.
I have great one at 1,000 yards, 300 Win-Mag on my cousin's mile range. No typo, that's right, 1,760 yards which he hits regularly.

Nost, have just seen a Ruger precision in .22rf for benchrest. Experienced guy says he likes it, can’t go any further; but he’s way experienced. Best wishes/ ya just never know; but you know that.

Check the serial number for a recall.

Ruger issued a safety bulletin for certain RPRs on 10 Aug 2017. The following serial number ranges are potentially affected: 1800-26274 to 1800-78345 or 1801-00506 to 1801-30461.

https://ruger.com/dataProcess/rprSafety/

Haven't made a shot over 600 yds. yet. Most of my shooting has been small bore at the 100 yd range and been many years since going that. With out a scope I don't think the target would be visible any more at 1726 yds. That's what old age does to you.

Thanks DeltaV, I just called the owener and got the serial number it begins with 1802. I never thought of checking for recalls. Turns out it's ok. I told him I'll buy it. SOLD. thanks for all your help.

No Ruger - Sorry. But I do have a Rem 7 mm. mag. That thing is a precision cannon. Big enough to put down anything on this continent out to 500 yards. First time I fired it was at the range at Fort Carson, CO when I lived there. Cut my brow open from the recoil because I misjudged the power. It can take out a target with an effective range of 1000 yards. I see the msrp is now around $4k. Don’t remember how much I paid but it was worth it 30+ years ago!

Last edited:
Nos, the 7.62X51 or 30.06 will eclipse 1000yds easily with the right stuff. I have 7.62 and 30cal,1906 military rifles, I cant speak for a Ruger. Go to the firearm/ammo store and get a Remington or Winchester ballistics magazine that they give away at the sales counter for customers and study the rates well then look at the .308's and .06's in comparison. good luck

308 and 30-06 are quite similar in ballistics.

Ask more about it at rugerforum.com.

Haven't made a shot over 600 yds. yet. Most of my shooting has been small bore at the 100 yd range and been many years since going that. With out a scope I don't think the target would be visible any more at 1726 yds. That's what old age does to you.
At 1,726 yds I don't think I could ever see a target without a scope and I've got good eyes lol.... unless it's a BIG target.

I have a friend that has one of those, but not in .308. I believe his is 6.5 Creedmore. Seems like he has been very happy with it. Not a lot of places around where we live, but I believe the club he is in has a range out to about 600 yds.

havent owned a RPR, did have a savage steath in 6.5 creedmoor. personally not a fan of chassis rifles. just my opinion though. See a lot of guys on shooting forums putting high dollar barrels on them and they seem to shoot pretty accurate.

I used a .308 Rem 700 SPS for some 600 yard matches with 175 grn Barnes Match burners. About 17.5 moa of adjustment needed to hit x ring. There are better calibers for the LR matches but if this is your first time trying matches it'll be ok. Just buy a top shelf scope. I use a NF now but on the 308 I used a fixed 36x weaver. I restocked the 700 & a better trigger. I was able to shoot low 190's pretty consistently. If you want more info let me know. BTW I reload my own ammo.

My last 308 Remmy I had built. I never shot it, as I had too many things going on, and didn't have time to get to a long-range facility. Wish I still had it.

fc1a1c.jpg

2lp5i9.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back