• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Longer radiator hoses?

493 Mike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:55 PM
Reaction score
What are my options for radiator hoses for my 65 Belvedere with engine set back? Stock upper for big block is 2 3/4" short from reaching the radiator. I have found a hose I can cut to make the lower but, nothing for the upper.
Mike

You can buy flexible hoses at any parts store.

You can buy flexible hoses at any parts store.
Thanks, but I can't bring myself to use those corrugated hoses or braided type hose. I'm wanting the OEM look. Of all the thousands of OEM hoses I figure something should work. Just wanting to know if someone else lucked into hoses that will fit.
Mike

You might try looking at later year application hoses. Mine's not set back, though not year correct, either. Wound up using a 67 model hose.

Take your hose,hit the parts stores.Our local Car Quest let me in and go thru their massive supply of hoses hanging in the back.Hose and tape measure in hand took me about 20 minutes to find what was needed.

I have done this, and my best advice it to cut your radiator hose that is too short in a straight spot and add a piece of pipe with 2 clamps, works great and adds a nice disconnect spot in case of service.
On my old g-body drag car, we cut the firewall out of the car and bolted the motor further back on the frame rails, but obviously the radiator support wasn't moved back and the stock hose would still work if I could stretch them, we needed the hose to be about 4"s longer so I got some aluminum pipe and BONUS I welded in a bung for a gauge on the top hose so I could see the temp coming out, had electric water pump and fan and that gauge was helpful.

I used ban clamps for that car, and put a bead around the end of the pipe because I used to really over do things, but since I have done this trick to make hoses fit where they didn't belong on multip0le occasions and just used hose clamps and pipe with NO issues, I have used all kinds of pipe to muffler, copper, aluminum, kind of hard to do it wrong.

Good luck

you can always get a hose stretcher , lol get it?

The upper hose is 1 1/2", find a hose with the right elbows, you can extend it with 1 1/2" sink drain pipe, if you don't like the chrome, paint it. I couldn't find a long enough upper hose and that's what I did. I can get a better picture if you need it.

image.jpeg

I have a 64 with a later model K member. I used a Napa 7392 with my top tank radiator. Switched to a Napa 7602 for my side tank radiator. The 7602 pictures look like it touches the distributor but it doesn't. Both fit fine.
Radiator hoses.JPG

I took my old hose to O'Reillys auto parts and they let me in the back and in 10 minutes I had my hoses. Needed longer ones for my run stand.

Thanks for the replies fellas! I had already checked stock in 3 local area parts stores (O'Reillys had the largest assortment) and found a candidate I could cut to make a lower hose. The upper is now my concern. I shall check on the NAPA 7392.
Mike

OK. FYI: I purchased 2 NAPA hoses-7196 upper and 7463 lower. The upper is a stock big block hose which was 2 3/4" too short,so I am using a Jegs 3" aluminum inside splicer and 4 1/4" of some straight 1 1/2" hose I had in stock. I cut 1 1/2" off the 7196 to allow room for the splicer.
For the lower, I cut both ends to get 8" on one leg and 9" on the other. This hose (7463) is less than 90* but will stretch easily to 90*. I am adding a support spring also.
I am using Gates Power Grip clamps so I will get the "look" I want.
I hope this info may help someone else!
Mike

The upper hose is 1 1/2", find a hose with the right elbows, you can extend it with 1 1/2" sink drain pipe, if you don't like the chrome, paint it. I couldn't find a long enough upper hose and that's what I did. I can get a better picture if you need it.

View attachment 394881

I have the same radiator. A Gates #20355 works...

DSCN0310.JPG

Napa 7602 works perfect for my 26" radiator , about 4" more forward reach than a stock 64 upper. Works with a straight up water neck also.

OK. FYI: I purchased 2 NAPA hoses-7196 upper and 7463 lower. The upper is a stock big block hose which was 2 3/4" too short,so I am using a Jegs 3" aluminum inside splicer and 4 1/4" of some straight 1 1/2" hose I had in stock. I cut 1 1/2" off the 7196 to allow room for the splicer.
For the lower, I cut both ends to get 8" on one leg and 9" on the other. This hose (7463) is less than 90* but will stretch easily to 90*. I am adding a support spring also.
I am using Gates Power Grip clamps so I will get the "look" I want.
I hope this info may help someone else!
Mike
Mike, thanks for posting the info on the 7463 lower hose, I went in the back at my local Napa where they have all of the hoses hanging trying to figure something out but they must not of had a 7463 in stock. I had them order one after i saw your post and it worked out great, just had to cut the last bend off of one side and cut a little off of the other bend. I also added a 1.625" x 13" inner support spring.

Mike, thanks for posting the info on the 7463 lower hose, I went in the back at my local Napa where they have all of the hoses hanging trying to figure something out but they must not of had a 7463 in stock. I had them order one after i saw your post and it worked out great, just had to cut the last bend off of one side and cut a little off of the other bend. I also added a 1.625" x 13" inner support spring.
I always try to help!
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back