• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Look What I Found.. Under 45 years of Grime

terrywalker

Local time
3:09 PM
Reaction score
Cleaning up the parts while I'm doing the brakes on my 74 Rallye 360 Charger. I've owned the car for 30 years. I decided to make the car a great cruiser.. it's been off the road 10+ years. No rust at all. As I was cleaning the brake drums and rear axle, I found painted numbers and paint markings. I was going to clean the dirt and grime off the housing and paint it black. Now that I'm finding original markings, they'll be gone if I paint over them. This isn't a restoration, just a clean up and paint. The brake drums must be original as they have the green paint markings and the pentastar and part number on them. Any suggestions as to what I should do?
See photos. The front disc brake shields cleaned up like new. Everything is cleaning up great. Thanks.
Terry

Rear Axle Paint Markings Drvr Side (Medium).jpg Rear Brake Drum Drvr Side (Medium).jpg Rear Brake Drum Psgr Side (Medium).jpg Brake Backing Plate 1 (Medium).jpg

Unless the car is original and numbers matching etc, its personal preference to keep the factory markings. If the car is original, definitely keep up the cleaning and leave the markings untouched.

Original drums have stampings on the outer rim face.....I dont see any stampings in your pics....Typically, there is a Chrysler pentstar stamped or raised....

It looks good with the parts cleaned and not repainted. Looks like a clean and dry car. Don’t paint over the originality.

Original drums have stampings on the outer rim face.....I dont see any stampings in your pics....Typically, there is a Chrysler pentstar stamped or raised....
Lets see if I can post better photos of the drums. They have the numbers 552 stamped by a pentastar on each and also the number 35536 stamped on each.

Rear Brake Drum Stamping 1 (Medium).jpg Rear Brake Drum Stamping 2 (Medium).jpg

Keep it as original as possible. Great find. Somebody might use it as a restoration reference

Kinda cool to find such things, eh? It's sort of historical. Cool to know humans on an
assembly line marked those when the car was new.

The markings are original and correct once and that is what you have when it left the plant.......You can document what you have in size, shape, color etc so they can be recreated later.....Or just leave it as it is and put a protective/rust inhibitor coating on them.....

You can use rust converter as a clear coat that will neutralize the rust but not mask the factory markings.

Started cleaning up the rear differential this morning, wet the housing down and this popped out. Having fun cleaning when I find stuff like this.
Terry

Rear Differential Housing 1 (Medium).jpg

You can use rust converter as a clear coat that will neutralize the rust but not mask the factory markings.
YY1, What rust converter are you recommending? The converters I've used turn black on rust. Are you saying it won't affect the paint markings? Then a topcoat is recommended ( sunlight changes it?) Thanks for any information.

I use Loc-Tite rust converter on parts that I want to have a bare metal finish.

It does turn rusted areas black, but a good wire brushing minimizes this (and is better for the metal).

In the end, I'd rather have a nearly OEM looking part (say, the AC lines for instance) with just a bit of weathering (the black flecs) than have to paint a part that should have a "natural" finish.

I use Loc-Tite rust converter on parts that I want to have a bare metal finish.

It does turn rusted areas black, but a good wire brushing minimizes this (and is better for the metal).

In the end, I'd rather have a nearly OEM looking part (say, the AC lines for instance) with just a bit of weathering (the black flecs) than have to paint a part that should have a "natural" finish.
Thanks YY1. I'll need to get some. Here's one more marking on the 3rd member

Rear Third Member number Marks (Medium).jpg

I'd try it first on an area that isn't noticeable.

It might or might not be to your liking.

A few more markings on the 3rd member. Two pale blue and one white paint marks on bottom and the number 31 with a line on top like a skunk stripe and all the yellow paint by snubber mount.
Terry

Rear Third Member Bottom 3 Marks 1 (Medium).jpg Rear Third Mbr Drvr Side 3 (Medium).jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back