• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking at 6" dial calipers $80-$100???

CompSyn

Local time
8:38 AM
Reaction score
Use: General Hobby

I was using an older Mitutoyo 6" dial caliper I had borrowed from a friend. I liked it. It did what I needed. When I gave it back to him I've missed it and have been looking at buying my own. Tried a cheap Harbor Freight one and it was an absolute joke. Also, not really interested in digital. Like the no batteries dial type.

On amazon I see these two calipers in my price range:

https://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-505...&qid=1511558042&sr=1-13&keywords=dial+caliper

-AND-

https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-320...&sr=1-1&keywords=Starrett+3202-6+Dial+Caliper

I also see the Starrett is made in China and the Mitutoyo is made in Brazil. The China made one is $20 less than the Brazil made one.

What do you guys think? What's the better option? Is there a better option in the $80- price range?

Thanks!

Mitutoyo is a good brand. We have several at work and use them all the time. SPI or Interapid is another good brand that we've had ok luck with. Starrett is usually a good brand too, but I'm not sure about the Chinese made stuff. You can't go wrong with the Mitutoyo stuff though. Very consistent when it comes to quality.

0  to 12 Mitutyo.jpg 0 to 6 Mitutoyo.jpg

I can find NO confirmation that the Starrett caliper is made in china, anywhere. Their website states "Precision Measurement Tools" coming from USA, Brazil, and China, but no indication anywhere where these originate from. That being said, I am using a Starrett caliper currently as I dropped my Craftsman caliper. I think it measures fine, just one rev. = 0.200" which took a bit to get used to. I use Mitutoyo for my other mic's and other tools, and would recommend them first. The Starrett caliper is out of stock if you didn't see, so I would just go with the Mitutoyo one. SPI is nice too, and made in Poland IIRC.

I can find NO confirmation that the Starrett caliper is made in china, anywhere. Their website states "Precision Measurement Tools" coming from USA, Brazil, and China, but no indication anywhere where these originate from. That being said, I am using a Starrett caliper currently as I dropped my Craftsman caliper. I think it measures fine, just one rev. = 0.200" which took a bit to get used to. I use Mitutoyo for my other mic's and other tools, and would recommend them first. The Starrett caliper is out of stock if you didn't see, so I would just go with the Mitutoyo one. SPI is nice too, and made in Poland IIRC.

Not sure but it would appear Starrett has entry level products that are made in China hence the lower price point, e.g., Starrett (Suzhou) Co., LTD. China ->
610AM57hMvL._CR204,0,1224,1224_UX256.jpg

I too like dial type calipers. I have an old 6" swiss made Etalon that has served me well for years but several times I had to clean the rack gear because it could skip a tooth (or a few) when build up happens.
When a mistake in measuring is from the measuring tool one tends to get shy about counting on it. This doesn't happen with the vernier kind.
I would think any brand of dial caliper needs extra care with handling and storage that is not the same with digital or vernier types.
My workhorse calipers are digital Mitutoyos. A 6" and a 12" have been my go-to caliper for 99% of need. Sometimes I forget to turn them off for days and they have not needed a batt. change in fifteen years.

BTW I have a 48" vernier caliper bought from nasa surplus for $100. It's very useful for checking the calibration of dial types. Just imagine if it was a dial type and one was left to wonder how the little gear is holding up.

Every spi product I have ever bought was absolute junk.
My first choice has always been mitutoyo.
Starret stuff is good, but overpriced

This is a 4" I spotted for cheap years ago. Feels solid, smooth action, Made in China.
When I open and close it the dial lands on zero half the time. Sometimes -.003. sometimes + .004.
All is fine with it except for use in measuring stuff.:rolleyes:

IMG_0361 (Large).JPG

I have a Matsui made in Japan that has worked well for 30 years
it sure comes in handy

Starrett made in China! I still have my grandfathers Starrett mike that has to be close to 90 years old. Try that with some Chinese piece of junk. Starrett made in China, i cant believe it, how depressing. You'd think with the money they charge they could keep making measuring tools in this country

Mitutoyo digital is what I prefer but have several of their dial calipers and micrometers as well.

I have a dail starrett and digital mitutoyo. both are good but the digital is always my go to caliper.

Every spi product I have ever bought was absolute junk.
My first choice has always been mitutoyo.
Starret stuff is good, but overpriced

I have some SPI stuff, and I would never buy it again.
I have the older Starrett 1202-6 Dial Calipers and they are pretty good.
The 3202-6 you had linked is the newer version replacing the 1202 version.

I've had really good luck with Starrets although I'm not sure if any of mine were made in China? Both are good brands though.

If you want dependability these are great... might take longer to read but no gear to get junk in and you don't have to check to make sure it zeros out all the time. Myself I'd never own a digital caliper.
Screenshot_20171125-142354.png

Auto Transport Service
Back