• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for a CAM and lifter set for a 440 built for TORQUE...

super-bee_ski

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:20 AM
Reaction score
Any suggestions on my soon to purchase CAM and lifter set?
Criteria:
1. Build is a 440
2. Automatic trans
3. Compression ratio: Pump gas
4. Single carb, 750-850 Holley vacum secondaries
5. Torque down low...GOBS of torque
6. Rear end: 3:54 or numerically lower (3:23)

So far I have looked at:
1. Summitt House brand
2. Jegs House brand
3. Lunati
4. Comp Cams
5. Crane Cams
6. Mopar Purple Cam

PS: Cranky..I will get a Cam degree Wheel...

3. Compression ratio: Pump gas

I have some experience with engine builds that had 11-1 running on pump gas. So, what will the actual static compression be?

PS: Cranky..I will get a Cam degree Wheel...

Good for you lol. You'll be on top of the game ;)

Cranky,
Im looking for a 9.5-1 or 10-1 as long as it can handle this crappy California gasoline.
Not a race engine...
Built for driveability and torque...
NOTE: bore is .060

LOL.."Top Dead Center"

I'm no cam guru but do understand what's going on with them so I consult with Fugly. He's a member here but I haven't seen him post in some time. If you contact him or any other other custom cam grinder (there are some good 'shelf' cams out there but custom is usually always better), be prepared to give them as much of the info on the car as possible....and the more the better.

Flat Tappet I assume... Lunati VooDoo Cam 10230702 :imho:

Hydraulic Flat Tappet...YES..

Lunati Cam company, good reputation.
Thanks 67 Mopar...
I'll check it out !

Okay, here are the specs for the Lunati 910160818

Lunati#638-10230702
Voodoo Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft
Mopar Big Block 361-440
•Lift: .475''/.494''
•Duration: 265 Deg / 271 Deg
•LSA: 112 Deg
•RPM Range: 1400-5800

i have a cheap summit 6401 in a stock 440 and it has a lot of low end, a little short winded up top (i think the stock iron manifold is the killer). i have a couple of small solids, new condition, i'd like to move on if interested.

Here is what I would do and thats call "Dwayne Porter" (802-951-1955) and tell him Ron 383man told you to call. I use a cam speced by Dwayne as he is one of if not the best cam guy out there in my opinion. I can tell you I feel I know alot about cams but when I wanted one for my 440/493 in my car now I wanted one to make good power but keep the cyl pressure low enough for 92 pump. I could have picked one I felt would work good but know matter how much I know about cams its not as much as Dwayne knows and he is a pro who does this stuff everyday. I do it for a hobby but he does it for a living and he has to be good at it and he is very good. He speced me a nice solid flat tappet and he kept the intake valve closeing right to keep cyl press where it needs to be and it makes good power with an idle I love. Every car I see with his cams seem to always run very good. And his price was no more then a shelf cam would have been. He is also a very nice person to deal with. Give him a call as he will want to know everything about the car and eng but you wont be sorry. Ron

For CA I'd keep the CR at 9.5:1 max and shoot for about 170 PSI cylinder pressure. You can probably go higher but that doesn't leave much margin. A short LSA cam (108) will build lots of torque but at a higher RPM range and at the expense of manifold vacuum and all the drivability problems and tuning associated. For the big block I like a 112 LSA cam.

Take a look at what Howards Cams are doing. They have some interesting grinds. look at their 721941-12. Hyd flat tappet, with 271/281 @.050 and 518/543 AND it has a 112LSA.

Take a look at what Howards Cams are doing. They have some interesting grinds. look at their 721941-12. Hyd flat tappet, with 271/281 @.050 and 518/543 AND it has a 112LSA.

I just checked Howards Cams out...
So far I like their specs/data sheet.

I WILL send both Dwayne Porter and David Hughes...
Ask them both about a torque engine and their opinions...

I'll keep you guys posted..

BTW: Sadly, this project is one of our members old projects...
67Satellite...
He had just fired up the 440 in his 67 GTX and it made the terrible squeal...

Remember that?
Around May of this year?

Yep, I remember. Let us know how it works out including the cam recommendation from those in the biz. Always good info.

I just checked Howards Cams out...
So far I like their specs/data sheet.

I WILL send both Dwayne Porter and David Hughes...
Ask them both about a torque engine and their opinions...

I'll keep you guys posted..

BTW: Sadly, this project is one of our members old projects...
67Satellite...
He had just fired up the 440 in his 67 GTX and it made the terrible squeal...

Remember that?
Around May of this year?
What was the problem? What happened?

Get a cam with about 226-228 @ 50 and cut it at 112 because you will need to bleed off some cylinder pressure. I have a custom from Bullit cams and I'm very happy with it.
needs 94 octane is running through manifolds. the cylinder preasure was 175 -185 with that cam so your borderline. I have KB 184 pistons so I have about 9.4 comp timing is at 34-35 any more and it pings. Fuel mixture is about 15-1
There are a few nice choices the Lunati voodoo can 226 234 sounds great as well as a Crower cam 228 236 with 112 lobes that I think would probably be your best bet. If you go smaller you will build more pressure and have to back up timing which will make car not run very well. If you have headers and run a bit richer yes you can go with like a hughes 223 cam which should work good as well.

Hemi Rebel quote:
"What was the problem? What happened? "

I bought the GTX from a fellow forum member Hemi Rebel...
The one when he started it up the 440 made a screaming, high pitch sound untill he shut the engine down...
The 67 GTX 440 with scary-sound- you tube video.

I also found out the Stealth Heads have Roller Rockers...

m79ded:
I need to run 91 Octane only...
So Cal gasoline...

Hemi Rebel quote:
"What was the problem? What happened? "

I bought the GTX from a fellow forum member Hemi Rebel...
The one when he started it up the 440 made a screaming, high pitch sound untill he shut the engine down...
The 67 GTX 440 with scary-sound- you tube video.

I also found out the Stealth Heads have Roller Rockers...
yeah. Did you find out what the high pitch squeal was/is?

Not yet,
Block is soaking in a Hot tank
Crank is getting polished
Rods: Shot peened...

Starting from the beginning....

Auto Transport Service
Back