• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for any help possibly locating father’s old GTX

bullitt08

Local time
3:56 PM
Reaction score
New to the forum and this may get long winded but here goes.
I grew up around Mopars. Dad had a 68 Charger and moved on to a 70 Road Runner he rescued. But the one that got away was a 1970 440+6 GTX. When he had it (and i have a few photos I’ll find and post later. It was Tor Red air grabber 4 speed trac pack. White seats black carpet and headliner. Sadly neither me or my mother have the VIN but this was the car that made me a car guy. Many memories and I’ve come across dad’s notebook of what he did while owning it. He sold it around 1987. Sadly dad passed in October at a young age and I’m just curious if somehow I’d be lucky enough to find out where that GTX ended up. As I said it was the car that got me into cars. I’ve spent the last 15 years as an automotive and aviation mechanic. And have a little collection of projects of my own including my own 68 Charger and his 69 Road Runner I’m taking care of for him. Any help is appreciated and I’m not expecting a miracle but I also know friends for a friend may know a guy so I’m cautiously optimistic. Looking forward to posting and helping others however I can but this question has been weighing on my mind since his passing and honestly brings me some peace at least asking.

You could also try the GTX registry, here’s the link for you. http://www.1970gtxregistry.com/ You never know your luck. If you could give them some info on where he bought and sold it, they may be able to point you to the new owner. Weirder things have happened before. Good luck with your search anyway. :welcome:
Cheers,
Glenn

Welcome aboard! Have you tried reaching out to your insurance company or the city tax dept?

Good luck, great story. All the Best. Don't be disappointed if not found. This can be a difficult trail.

welcome-aboard.jpg

captain-jack-sparow-says-welcome-meme.jpg

Is this Ray?? Met you years back.Sorry to hear about your Dad. Jim Spring Bay,IL

Last edited:
Hey Jim ya it is. And ya it’s tough losing him. Been working on trying to track his old G down for years now. Probably won’t but who knows.

Ya I know I’ve been off and on on this project. I live in a small town and well there really isn’t a way the city could track it as the previous poster mentioned. Sometimes wish I did because I hadn’t thought of that route. I have pictures with the old license plates but they state no longer has electronic records of it ( I had a friend do a check for me ) and so I’d have to find a way to maybe paper trail it in Springfield to get the VIN but this is Illinois they’re gonna say no way unless I have a pile of cash which I dont so I’ll do it the slow and steady way and maybe I get lucky.

Auto Transport Service
Back