• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for engine-decoding info

Hilljack68

Local time
2:11 PM
Reaction score
My 68 Coronet has a 340 from a 1971 model. Does anyone know of a data base/website where I can determine what model my engine came out of? By year and code I've narrowed it down to Barracuda, Challenger, Duster or Demon.

Thanks DK. Yep, GW340P33920517 So far, I know:

G = 1971
W = Windsor plant
340 = CID
P = Premium fuel
3392 = 11/10/70 build date
0517 = 517th engine built

But the other stamping: 1B267250 is the trouble. It's my understanding that the "267250" is the VIN of the original car it was installed in.

Last edited:
The “1” and the “B” are the 6th and 7th digits of the original VIN. The remaining (6) digits are the sequence number unique to the original car the the engine was installed in. The “1” is 1971. The “B” is Hamtramck, Michigan plant. The remainder of the VIN I would think you’d need to determine exact make and model. Maybe one of the other fellas here has another trick up their sleeve for that investigative work on your engines history. I have a ‘71 A body that has a ‘69 340 in it. If there’s a way to determine what kind of car that came out of, I personally would like to know as well.

Ok... @Hilljack68 ... So for reasons I can't explain, I started digging into this... a little mystery if you will :) And I think I may have found something quite interesting about your engine.

And just FYI.. I'm going off the block numbers you provided... Also, let me preface that I'm sure there is a Mopar guru out there that's going to crush me, but whateves.

First up... Turns out that in 1938 they build an engine plant next to the main factory, which was expanded in 1955 and is where they made 6 and 8 cyl., including the 340.

So, it's virtually assured your engine came from this factory.

It get's more interesting-er... (may be)

Second, the plant (plant #1) made a ton of different models from 1946. From 67 to 72 they made five different models, but we're all hard top sedans.

Interestingly, only one model was made in the year 1971 - The Dart.

Here is the bonkers part - again, I could be wrong.

In 1969 & 1970 Dodge produced the 340 powered Dart Swinger. However, a Swinger "Special" was manufactured specifically in Windsor.

Taking the block number - likely made in the Windsor Engine Plant (WEP) and potentially put in a Dart. And if you let your imagination run... it was put in a Dart Swinger Special. Which was only made in that plant in 71 & 72

Here's one of the articles I found about it: Canada's Well Kept Secret: The 1971 & 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 Special - Mopar Connection Magazine | A comprehensive daily resource for Mopar enthusiast news, features and the latest Mopar tech

If it works out - that's a pretty cool story.

Well, it seems the block (or maybe the entire engine) was built in the Windsor plant... hence the GW340P33920517 stamping. The block (or engine) was then shipped to Hamtramck, stamped with the VIN of the car - 1B267250 - and installed.
So, the engine was cast/built in November of '70 and installed into a '71 model. There may just be no way of determining which model. I appreciate the theories and opinions, but I guess I may never know.

Auto Transport Service
Back