• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for header suggestions

Loulang

Local time
8:45 AM
Reaction score
I’m gonna be purchasing some headers but would like some input on make and size. I have a 66 charger with a 383. Not sure which heads I have I just dropped my motor off at the engine builders and waiting on him to tear it down and get a plan together. I’m more than likely gonna keep the iron heads just might have some work done to them. I’m not trying to break the bank on headers. Appreciate all and any suggestions Thanks in advance.

TTI for fit, and function. They also make Great exhaust systems that bolt right up...

My 2-cents? With a "stock'ish" motor anything inexpensive that has a decent fit with 1-5/8" primary tubes...Heddman, generic Summit/etc or whatever. Just ask around here for fit, especially with power steering and/or clearance with idler arm/pitman arm. Even if you have to put a small "ding" or two in the headers for clearance, it won't be a problem.

He said he didnt want to break the bank so I would think TTI is out. Google and ask people with a 66 charger.

Doug’s! Cheaper than TTI and great fit. Didn’t have to use a hammer to dent them.
I like Doug's and have great luck with them. But for $200 more I would go with TTIs.
Plus Doug's doesn't provide a polished ceramic version.
$1,100 dollars for top shelf headers is nothing for a part that will last a lifetime.

I went with TTI on a recent 440 build. Installation went pretty well and spark plug access is good.

Doug's
They fit my Charger like a glove and were significantly less than TTI

I’m thinking of going the purple cam route with my build. Right now I’m just waiting on the builder to break it down so he knows what’s wrong. So I’m leaning towards the Doug’s headers just wondering what size diameter? Also will I have to go to a mini starter? Or will everything clear with the Doug’s? Do I go with the 2 in? I’d like to have my exhaust tips come out in front of the rear tire like the old nascar with the nice rectangular tip, for right now they are dumped before the rear end. I do have the Holley sniper system so my O2 sensor has to be I think it was a foot after the collector I think I will have enough 02 wire with the long tube headers. I’m not going for top speed but more out the hole power. Appreciate all the post I have received. Thanks

Last edited:
An old guideline was to pick a header with a tube size that is close to the size of the exhaust valve.
Stock 906, 346 and 452 heads use a 1.74" valve, right? That means an 1 7/8" header is right in the ball park.

I’m thinking of going the purple cam route with my build. Right now I’m just waiting on the builder to break it down so he knows what’s wrong. So I’m leaning towards the Doug’s headers just wondering what size diameter? Also will I have to go to a mini starter? Or will everything clear with the Doug’s? Do I go with the 2 in? I’d like to have my exhaust tips come out in front of the rear tire like the old nascar with the nice rectangular tip, for right now they are dumped before the rear end. I do have the Holley sniper system so my O2 sensor has to be I think it was a foot after the collector I think I will have enough 02 wire with the long tube headers. I’m not going for top speed but more out the hole power. Appreciate all the post I have received. Thanks
Small primary tube=more gas velocity at lower rpm=more low end torque.
Mike

Small primary tube=more gas velocity at lower rpm=more low end torque.
Mike
Thanks, love the wagon! I see your a little more than 2 hrs south of me. I’m in Wolverine. Do you ever take the wagon to traverse city car show or St Ignace?

Doug's Headers have always worked great for fit and function. They are a little cheaper than ttI with the same quality.

I have a set of ceramic coated Patriot headers on my 440 in my 1969 roadrunner. They have been installed for over ten years. The fit was perfect and still look great after all this time.

I have a set of ceramic coated Patriot headers on my 440 in my 1969 roadrunner. They have been installed for over ten years. The fit was perfect and still look great after all this time.
Do you have a pic? Those seem more my price range.

Thanks, love the wagon! I see your a little more than 2 hrs south of me. I’m in Wolverine. Do you ever take the wagon to traverse city car show or St Ignace?
I have taken it to Houghton Lake a few times for the Pumpkin Run but, I haven't even started my wagon in two years. Too busy trying to finish my 65 Belvedere.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back