• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for info on NASCAR / Road Race Max Wedge engines

shoominati23

Local time
11:36 PM
Reaction score
Hi all

I am just wondering if anyone has any good (factual) information (pictures PLEASE) on the single 4 barrel 413 and 426 Max Wedge engines that ran in NASCAR between 1962 and 64 (before the Hemi came out, which is everyone's main focus obviously, and it seems the MW just plain got glossed over after the race hemi dropped) And they may have run in any road racing classes like SCCA when new.
I am specifically looking for data on the intakes, blocks and heads used in these engines, it is easy to find info on the 2 x 4 barrel Super Stock MW engines and the units used in drag racing, but any circuit racing stuff seems pretty scant, or the threads are from 15+ years ago and the pictures and gone / links are dead. I did find one 2406185 nascar intake in my search.
I also wonder if anyone has any info about headers? I did find this lowres picture of a super speedway 426 MW setup, but I dont know what car it was or what book it came from?

6098514-NascarMaxWedgeHeaders#2[640x480].JPG

Thankyou for any help any of you can lend! the MW info out there is thin on the ground!

I am contemplating building a 64 plymouth post car for vintage (pre '66) touring car racing, but I would need to collect as much # matching stuff like heads and intake to build the engine as possible to satisfy governing bodies.. Consequently I would be on the hunt for an engine builder who could build me a strong and powerful 426 that knows these engines and knows how to make them last (oiling system?)

Cheers all..

I have the intake manifold, but not much printed info. It was the 2406185 casting, but it is Revision "B", so it is a dual plane. Maybe this is not intended for drag racing?? It was Chrysler dealer over-the-counter item, pre Mopar Perf days.
Also, certainly curious as to the information you seek, but would you not think that most (maybe not most, but lots of) parts would be common to all max wedge, regardless of their intended use??..... obviously manifolds and carb setups would change, and cams too, but I would think alot of other hard parts such as blocks, cranks, oiling, rods, and heads would likely be all the same. There are parts list out there detailing these items and their original part numbers.

One final note, I did read somewhere on the net, that there is discussion of max wedge parts in the 'July '63 Hot Rod mag. HTH, Lefty71

Last edited:
Your pic is from a Hot Rod yearbook.
You can find those on ebay.

I have seen pics of 63 MoPar nascar cars using the cast header exhaust manifolds.
There was a time when aftermarket steel headers weren’t allowed back then.
Another thing: find old nascar rule books.

Auto Transport Service
Back