• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOUND Looking for lower steering column spring and a spring washer

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungGun87

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:11 AM
Reaction score
Converting my '68 factory 3-speed auto, p/s on the column to 4 on the floor and I believe I need that big spring that goes on the lower end of the shift tube and the spring washer that goes at the top end so it keeps pressure on the housings. Thanks.

Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 11-54-30 Steering column inner tube.png

Screenshot 2022-08-11 at 20-38-05 FOR SALE - parting Out '68 and '69 B-Body Steering Column Pa...png

Last edited:
You will need a 4 speed outer housing and inner tube with the lower support bearing along with a host of other parts. I would find a used 4 speed column. I did my charger which was automatic and ended up getting a 4 speed column and made it work. I then put the old automatic togeather with the left over parts and sold it as a automatic core column.

Already ordered and received the eliminator housing, my lower bearing is the 2 bolt bearing and still good, just needs re-greased, and plan on cutting the shift tube lever off at the lower end so it won't affect the spring I'm looking for
After spending several days reading many different column threads, those seem to be the only things left for me to get other than a connector for the wires but those are re-popped for $10 from OER
The opening for the shifter lever on the crush column I plan on welding in a piece of metal to cover that as well
Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 20-58-04 MP14050 - 1968-69 Mopar A_B-Body Column Shifter Eliminator.png20220810_160045.jpg

Those springs are kind of hard to find. There are a couple other guys that have been looking for a spring for a long time on here. I would probably search for another column and take the parts off it you need like pnora stated. Have you looked on ebay? Sometimes there are parts columns listed on there.

Yea, I've been looking there and searched the whole US on Craigslist and even moparts. Only columns I can find are similar to mine w/ no springs. I'm still a long way out from really needing them but was just hoping to be able to restore at least one part so far on this build that's relatively low cost to do. Majority of our budget is getting our engine done, along with the rest of the drivetrain we're lacking which is pretty much just the clutch setup. Then the rest will be put towards getting the body work finished and hopefully in paint. Probably going to have to go back to work to do everything we want to do lol

Have a few great substitutes I've found over the years. What I have is twice the length of the oem and I cut them to length. They work fine. $15 each plus the ride. Buddy of mine has been using them for years restoring columns.

I am in the process of rebuilding my column current too and converting it. My automatic column didn’t have the lower spring either. Since my didn’t have it originally I was just going to put it back the way it was without the spring.

Was the lower spring only on the 4 speed columns?

I am in the process of rebuilding my column current too and converting it. My automatic column didn’t have the lower spring either. Since my didn’t have it originally I was just going to put it back the way it was without the spring.

Was the lower spring only on the 4 speed columns?
Yea I have no idea if it was just a 4 speed only thing or what. Not even really sure I need it. Mine didn't have the upper wavy washer either like I've seen in others. Maybe the shift linkage on the autos helps keep pressure on the housings and helps the steering wheel remain tight and not flop everywhere but I was just trying to make mine look like theirs. My lower bearing also only had 2 bolts like the floor shift columns. Found a couple guys on CL with supposedly a huge stockpile of parts looking for the lower spring and upper washer for me. My coupler doesn't even have the retaining dowel pin either that some have towards the top to keep it on the shaft. Beginning to believe my car was an early '67 production run for the '68 years. Notice the crush zone sleeve is just a thin plastic/paper material instead of the thick rubber piece like the others.

20220806_182853.jpg20220807_193231.jpg

Last edited:
Have a few great substitutes I've found over the years. What I have is twice the length of the oem and I cut them to length. They work fine. $15 each plus the ride. Buddy of mine has been using them for years restoring columns.
Sent a PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back