• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for pinchweld trim molding. Or suggestions on how to...

GassMann

Local time
8:25 AM
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am getting down to the final stages of reassembly of my 66. The pinchweld trim molding is very tired... scratched, dented. Compared to the new paint job and polished stainless, it looks bad. The pictures show AFTER buffing.
I can find no source for aftermarket trim and with the original being chromed aluminum (at least I think it's chrome over aluminum), it's near impossible to fix. Does anyone have suggestions on how to improve the old stuff? Can it be sanded then re-polished? Or, anyone have a source for replacement options?

upload_2022-4-9_14-24-1.png

upload_2022-4-9_14-24-38.png

upload_2022-4-9_14-25-15.png

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Davek... the window surrounds are stainless but the pinchweld edge trim is aluminum and I think it's also chromed at that... not sure. I will give Stephen's Performance a call on Monday. :)

That trim can be repaired but it takes a lot of patience and time with a trim hammer and dolly and sandpaper. Then the anodizing needs to be stripped then it can be polished.

You have anodized aluminum. You can repair that trim. It's time consuming. The anodizing can be chemically removed with lye or sanded off. The dent can be pushed out with a variety of pics, screwdrivers or hunks of wood. Then block sand slightly to look for low and high spots. Pic the low spots up and recheck. Once you a very close, block sand to remove dimples. Sometimes little dimples will remain. Leave them as you may create more trouble than its worth to get them out. Then its just a matter of finer and finer grits up to 1500-2000. Then polish. No need to reanodize. I have some that was reanodized. and some that wasn't. 17 years latter they look the same. In fact if it polished once in while the non anodized is shinier. Stainless can be done as well. It much tougher to sand and bend. Here's some examples of smashed trim that have been repaired at home with minimal tools. The Challenger headlamp surround and hood molding were smashed pretty good. They are alumninum. The RF spear on the Belvedere and the trunk and corner 1/4 panels moldings were also heavily damaged. They are stainless.
Doug

1118121800.jpg
0910111902b.jpg
20180511_171154.jpg

Last edited:
That trim can be repaired but it takes a lot of patience and time with a trim hammer and dolly and sandpaper. Then the anodizing needs to be stripped then it can be polished.
Thanks Beekeeper...

You have anodized aluminum. You can repair that trim. It's time consuming. The anodizing can be chemically removed with lye or sanded off. The dent can be pushed out with a variety of pics, screwdrivers or hunks of wood. Then block sand slightly to look for low and high spots. Pic the low spots up and recheck. Once you a very close, block sand to remove dimples. Sometimes little dimples will remain. Leave them as you may create more trouble than its worth to get them out. Then its just a matter of finer and finer grits up to 1500-2000. Then polish. No need to reanodize. I have some that was reanodized. and some that wasn't. 17 years latter they look the same. In fact if it polished once in while the non anodized is shinier. Stainless can be done as well. It much tougher to sand and bend. Here's some examples of smashed trim that have been repaired at home with minimal tools. The Challenger headlamp surround and hood molding were smashed pretty good. They are alumninum. The RF spear on the Belvedere and the trunk and corner 1/4 panels moldings were also heavily damaged. They are stainless.
Doug

View attachment 1267344 View attachment 1267343 View attachment 1267342
The trim I am looking at is stamped aluminum. Quite thin... but I have nothing to lose. Did sand it a bit with 400 to cut through the scratches. Here's what I am seeing. Is it possible I am looking at the anodizing?
upload_2022-4-9_18-46-25.png

A few people have chrome plated their trim. I have not seen any posts saying it was successful. Ours was stripped and we just polish.

If it were mine, I would chemically strip the anodizing then try sanding. I would start with 1000 grit. I did some stainless and started with 600 grit on it. Some of the others have suggested pick and filing. It will be tedious.
Some have done this as part of their career, I listen to them.

it is time consuming but its worth it. What do you have to lose :thumbsup: the higher the grid the better it will look. Good luck let us know how it works out.

The anodizing is a relatively hard aluminum finish.
Once you get past that it's just aluminum and can be polished.
The best way would be a buffing wheel with rouge and care not to catch it on the wheel.
Remember the deeper you "scratch" it with sand paper the deeper you will have to buff to get it smooth and shinny again.
Getting it off and on without damaging your paint is tricky too.

The anodizing is a relatively hard aluminum finish.
Once you get past that it's just aluminum and can be polished.
The best way would be a buffing wheel with rouge and care not to catch it on the wheel.
Remember the deeper you "scratch" it with sand paper the deeper you will have to buff to get it smooth and shinny again.
Getting it off and on without damaging your paint is tricky too.
Thanks Speedbird. Fortunately, the trim is already off the car and ready to sand, buff and polish. I am working on making some oak hammer dowels to do the finer planishing. I will post here when I am done with the first piece I showed earlier.

BTW all, this is a most excellent group. Thanks for the quick responses. :luvplace:

Try to fix what you got. Can be hard to find stuff. If you have any pieces that you cannot fix due to damage/dents, I may have an extra.

Awesome outcome... thanks guys. I have a lot of work yet to do but damn... this looks good.

With scratched anodizing and now without.

upload_2022-4-20_11-22-35.png
upload_2022-4-20_11-23-44.png

Try to fix what you got. Can be hard to find stuff. If you have any pieces that you cannot fix due to damage/dents, I may have an extra.
Would you have the short piece right behind drivers door-at start of the quarter panel???

Would you have the short piece right behind drivers door-at start of the quarter panel???
Sorry, do not have an extra of those. If you can find one, try and salvage the clips on the inside. If you can't, then you will have to "make" some from the long section or from new (eBay). Also need one of those sleeves to attach the butt ends.

Left side? I will look but I think I sold those a while ago.
I will follow up.

Auto Transport Service
Back