• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for reducer and catalyst for OMNI paint.

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:34 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have about a half gallon each of red, white and blue Omni single stage paint and need some MR186 reducer along with MH235 hardener. I hate to dispose of this paint, I just need the catalyst and reducer to spray what I have here.
I'm in California where the VOCs of the paint have been declining for years. This stuff I need might be available in Nevada or Arizona. It is currently after hours so I was wondering if anyone has had luck buying "outdated" products like this.
Thanks, Greg

The problem is, the paint I have is not sold in my area anymore due to changing regulations. Sacramento Valley sees constantly shifting air quality regulations. I may be able to find it outside of my town but they check ID and with my address being in the valley, they claim that they cannot sell it to me by law. Private sales are not subject to this when done person to person. Thanks though.

Just for conversation, can you buy spray paint at your local hardware or Wally World, take it home and use it?

Ha ha... yes you can. They still allow hobbyists like us to spray our cars here. I can buy new paint for automotive applications, it is just reformulated with a lower level of VOCs. (Volatile Organic Compounds) This makes it thinner, less durable and more likely to fade.
I have what amounts to a few hundred dollars of paint in a more durable formula. I'd like to use it.

Kern Dog
I get Omni paint here from my Napa dealer. If ya want, I can pic you up some and send it to you.

PM me if interested.

Hey guys. I have about a half gallon each of red, white and blue Omni single stage paint and need some MR186 reducer along with MH235 hardener. I hate to dispose of this paint, I just need the catalyst and reducer to spray what I have here.
I'm in California where the VOCs of the paint have been declining for years. This stuff I need might be available in Nevada or Arizona. It is currently after hours so I was wondering if anyone has had luck buying "outdated" products like this.
Thanks, Greg
I believe that the Shopline brand of PPG is the same reducer. JR506 should be the same temp range. Just check the tech sheets.

I believe that the Shopline brand of PPG is the same reducer. JR506 should be the same temp range. Just check the tech sheets.
My local supplier went from offering OMNI to the Shopline stuff. Maybe I can see if he is able to divulge such info....They often stick to the guidelines for whatever reason. Maybe they are bound to by the paint supplier, maybe they have EPA limitations to consider, who knows.

Auto Transport Service
Back