• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for some feedback if you will???

cr8crshr

Local time
2:33 AM
Reaction score
Finally got the engine dialed in on the Satellite Project. Running awesome. That being said, I have pin pointed the knock I was experiencing to the transmission. 727 TF that I paid to have re-built and set up for storage. This was done over 6 years ago so no chance going back to the builder who by the way has a rep for ripping people off. Any way after exploring all my options I see that Summit Racing has a 727 TF for $949.00 plus freight shipping at $109.00 for a total out the door of $1058.00. There is no core charge and of course the Torque Converter and Flex Plate are extra which I will get elsewhere. Question is...Has anyone here had or know of someone who has purchased one and is using it? The budget is tight so this just might work out as most shops around here are charging about the same. Try and keep it on point here if ya would. I don't require a different shift body, or race app for this build as it is mild yet has an attitude. Stall is going to be between 2400-2800 per my set up.....:headbang::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1:

I would bring it to a trans shop and see if they can fix the issue. The clutches and all that should be new so it shouldnt need much for parts. I would suspect they could pull the pan and determine the issue. And then if they can't fix it for less than a rebuild or replacement either buy then or have them continue the rebuild. usually if they can't fix it they just eat that labor since you do the rebuild....just go to a reputable shop

If i remember right, you made a video of the car making the noise right? Did you pull the trans out? That noise is not something that could occur deep inside, especially when it does it sitting still. Dont be so quick to condemn the trans. If you havent pulled it, i would do that and examine the flex plate very carefully. If that isnt it, the only other moving parts when its sitting still are the converter and the oil pump. Only ever seen 1 pump crap out and that was after 6 years of hard *** launches courtesy of a trans brake. But if by chance it is the pump, you can replace that without having to go into the trans. You can handle it yourself. Its no big deal really.

I agree with these guys, that's allot of money to spend if it's something else. Check everything else before spending the money. I know when I put my converter in the bolts where just a hair to long and had to be ground down a fuss "had I not noticed it" it would have resulted in a noise as well. Good luck

Well, you asked about the Summit transmission. I don't know anybody that's used one. I didn't even know Summit offered them. Them Summit guys are usually pretty straight up. Call them and ask who they have build them. If it's TCI, run the other way. Now as to the noise, I agree. Knocking from an automatic usually is between the crank flange and the front pump and could include the flex plate, torque converter and pump itself. I sure wish you were closer. We would fix you up and do you right.

Could it be something as simple as a loose flexplate bolt? Those have very ugly knocking sounds when loose.

mike

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but unlike so much Mopar stuff where you need a 'mopar guy' to fix it, any good tranny guy should be able to fix a 727. Just be patient, find a tranny guy that has a good rep, and have AAA haul it over there for free.

I'm in agreement with all but mostly kb67. Just to add to cr8crshr's, the tranny slips very badly in D and the speedo doesn't work from the end of the cable into the tranny, and all appears to be fine from what we found.

Yeah, I'd find out the cause before paying for a mail-order trans. And then I'd get a reputable local trans shop do it.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but unlike so much Mopar stuff where you need a 'mopar guy' to fix it, any good tranny guy should be able to fix a 727. Just be patient, find a tranny guy that has a good rep, and have AAA haul it over there for free.
I agree, I've rebuilt 350 turbo's, C6's, 904's and now a 727, in my opinion the 727 has been the easiest.

I have seen the pressure relief valve cause a knock before as well. Usually caused by a plugged or partially plugged cooler or line. Just a thought.

I have no experience with the Summit tranny. And I agree with most about taking yours to a shop for rework.

I had one slip and thunk as you are describing. Too much end play, wrong thrust bushing. Worth a check, as you have to pull the transmission anyway.

Thanks all for the input. Just trying to put a spot light right on the problem. Trans was done a number of years ago and sat in storage while I attempted to get things back on track but this build has been nothing but one set back after another and I am very rapidly loosing the enthusiasm I once had for it. Don't get me wrong here...I love the challenge however with my funds being limited now...retired and on a fixed income...and with the costs of things now days, I am very seriously considering bailing out of it and move on to other pursuits. Let someone else finish it. Either I find a way to get it street worthy in the next few months or it is going on the sales block. It won't be cheap either as the amount I have in parts yet to go on the car and all along with where it is at right now, anything less than 10 grand would be an insult. Just venting but it has gone on now for over 8 years and I am running out of time and patience here...cr8crshr/Tuck

Auto Transport Service
Back