• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for thoughts on this R/T

Steve McQueen

Local time
2:08 PM
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a recent member here - already did my introduction thread - and wanted to ask for opinions on a '69 R/T that I found. I've been looking for a survivor car, but came across this one and was interested based on color combo and options. The data tag shows that it was born as presented - Tor-red, 4 speed, Dana, and non-assist drum brakes at all four corners, among other things. It's also a radio delete car, which I haven't seen before on a Charger.

It received a full restoration 5-6 years ago, but the sellers bought it after the restoration, so they didn't have much in the way of details to share on what kind of condition it was in prior to the work and how much, if any, metal was replaced. But, it's obvious someone spent a huge pile of cash and/or started with a pretty complete car.

The price seems fair, but I'm having some difficulty pulling the trigger because it's a bit over-restored for what I'm looking to do with it - e.g., the complete underside and the wheel wells are just as pretty as the paint on top. My plan for the car I eventually buy is to drive it quite a bit, including on longer road trips and overnights. This car, at least to me, is better suited to limited driving and putting on display.

Interested in reading all your thoughts

Here are a few pics....

97440224_10216850836923363_950353984885882880_o.jpg 99232744_10216850836483352_6101024017748066304_n.jpg 97826557_10216850835283322_6763074801016766464_o.jpg 97936385_10216850836203345_4258158674654003200_n.jpg

Last edited:
Buy it drive it throw some under coating to the underside to protect it and have fun !!!!

Insure it for the value you need and drive it! What they were built for. Nothing is too pretty to drive, cars included!
beebirdcruise3.jpg

I'm right there with you.....but the first thing, as always is price. Car looks wonderful.....but is not a "survivor." I'm with you on finding those.....love it. Check everything you can get on this car....from engine stamp, fender tag to the rad stamps the the one on the trunk lip. Body work issues abound.....bondo, frame rails....shoddy patches.....all the normal crap. This car looks sub-$50k range if done the way described....and if all numbers matching Cert card ect....more than that.

I would drive a 1 of 1 Hemi car.......ever buy a toaster and then not toast bread in it??? Enough said lol. Gorgeous car and if its what you want and a good buy, then go for it! Trunk floor, Rear window area, and quarters are the Chargers first areas to go. If they are solid and seem original, you likely have a really solid nice ride.

Beautiful car, and if the price was: (This car looks sub-$50k range if done the way described according to an above post) I would get on it PDQ... second gen Chargers are golden right now...IMO

Nice ride but difficult to answer when we don’t know the asking price. A very nice charger doesn’t grow on trees. As mentioned they’re the car of the moment right now. If you can afford it I’d pull the trigger. What’s the asking price?

For 70K it would have to be matching numbers and drive as good as it looks. Sometimes show poodles need lots of pampering to drive good too.

Sellers say block was replacement at some point - supposedly correct casting numbers, but not VIN-correct. Transmission and rear end are claimed to match VIN, though. Didn't check the rad support or other locations.

Tor-red, 4 speed, Dana, ...

It's also a radio delete car....

It received a full restoration 5-6 years ago

The price seems fair, but I'm having some difficulty pulling the trigger because it's a bit over-restored for what I'm looking to do with it - e.g., the complete underside and the wheel wells are just as pretty as the paint on top. My plan for the car I eventually buy is to drive it quite a bit, including on longer road trips and overnights. This car, at least to me, is better suited to limited driving and putting on display.

Sellers say block was replacement at some point - supposedly correct casting numbers, but not VIN-correct. Transmission and rear end are claimed to match VIN, though. Didn't check the rad support or other locations.

Interested in reading all your thoughts

This is a good looking car.

You are ahead of yourself and opinions here won't help the process. I'd suggest taking more time to determine what you want and bone up a little on the details of cars you are interested in before considering a purchase. A 69 Charger in any condition will be toward the upper end of comparable pricing. If that is what you have your heart set on, be prepared to pay the price.

You haven't even checked some of the basic things like the radiator support or other significant items before discussing price.

How do you know the fender tag is accurate and legit? Was the car born a green 318 automatic?

Tor Red is the Plymouth name for Hemi Orange; the term used by Dodge

You can't delete something that wasn't standard. While the vast majority of cars were ordered with a radio making it seem like a radio was standard equipment, it was not. While the term radio delete is common, it is also erroneous.

A common error and a pet peeve of mine- miss routed heater hoses. It also makes me wonder what other details or 'restoration' items are incorrect.

You want to drive the car a lot yet you want a survivor. Very few people would trust a 50 YO car with original parts on a long distance drive. You don't state your mechanical skills but you will likely spend more money getting a 'survivor' up to the level of reliability you will likely want than spend money on a car that is already done.

Be honest and realistic as to what you want and what you want the car for. Too many people think they want a car for one thing and buy something totally unsuitable and over priced for what they want. If you want a show car, buy a show car. If you want a driver, buy a driver.

At 70k I'd let it be seems a bit much $60 k ish maybe but it's got to be super nice a 6 year old resto should be showing shoddy work so if it looks nice I'd say it's nice I'd be needing to see alit of documents for that kind of money ! And triple check the numbers very easy to swap vin's to a nice 318 car from a rusted out rt !

Is this the charger that just listed on this site 30 minutes ago by Jason? Check out the thread with attendant documents.

Why you grab and dash and tell about things later. Good thing the border is closed.... :)

I told the seller about this site, as I was not sure it was the car for me.

Well, hopefully it finds a good home if someone beats me to the point of making a decision.

And I guess I should say that I have no connection to the seller other than I found the car on Facebook and went and looked at it yesterday.

I had a survivor in the past. It was a great experience of being the steward of a time capsule, but it took the fun out of driving it.

I'm having a lot more fun driving my ratty 318 Coronet.

Auto Transport Service
Back