• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking To Buy 69 Charger

The Rebel

Local time
7:52 PM
Reaction score
Hey All. Just joined yesterday as for some time I've always wanted a muscle car as a lot of my buddies had them in when we were in HS (Camaros, Barracudas, GTOs....). I graduated in 88.

I've just begun my research to see what I need to learn before I pull the trigger.

I'm interested in a 69 Charger (seeing I was born in 69), 383-4, Standard (or Automatic) in good shape but not showroom quality. I've seen prices all over the place ($20K+) on a ton of websites but not really sure what is really reasonable. My guess is a private seller would be cheaper than buying from a muscle car dealership.

Would love to get a Gen. Lee version but they seem like they go for like $40K+.

I've driven standard only a few times in my life but to me it would seem pretty fun to drive it as a standard to get that race car feel rather than manual.

Thanks in advance,
Roger

Keep your eyes on the for sale forum on here. It's where I found my Super Bee.
You can also post a wanted ad in the appropriate forum and see what kind of response you get.

Good luck!

Roaches are a dime a dozen and these days and it seems that anything nice is going to be in the mid-30s and up. Right now, good ones seem to be few and far between.

Thanks Guys. Question as it's been 20+ years since I last drove a standard (NOT a muscle car) how hard is it to get used to driving a 383-4. Or would a 383-2 be better? Should I look for an automatic instead? Also I see some listed with Shift Kits, what do they do?

Also are there any links to original 69 Charger Dealership Catalogs that list the colors & options that were available in 69?

I doubt you'd notice much of a difference between an 383-2 and a 383-4, ymmv. Mine was originally a 383-2 and has a new 4bbl on with a Trans-go TF2 shift kit. The shift kit speeds up the shift times and makes the shifts feel firmer and more immediate. It made a world of difference for me. With my new Holley 670 carb, it spins the tires easily between 1st and 2nd gear :)
I'd buy the best '69 you can in your price range regardless of whether it's auto or manual, there's just not that many to choose from.

My Super Bee (383) is a four speed manual and it is fun to drive and row through the gears, but my automatic R/T (440) is much easier to drive and faster. The Super Bee is also non power steering while the R/T is powered, but both have manual brakes. So, four speeds may come with manual steering and automatics may come with power steering.

They're out there but be picky! I finally found one that I thought was good enough but took me three years looking. Hopefully you don't have to look that long but don't give up, you'll find one. If you go fleabay route be careful! You can get good ones there but also poo boxes! Inspect before you buy always!

If you find one you can't go see, get back to us here and I'm sure someone will be close by to look for you! Good luck!

Thanks Guys. Question as it's been 20+ years since I last drove a standard (NOT a muscle car) how hard is it to get used to driving a 383-4. Or would a 383-2 be better? Should I look for an automatic instead? Also I see some listed with Shift Kits, what do they do?

Also are there any links to original 69 Charger Dealership Catalogs that list the colors & options that were available in 69?
what other standards have you driven? the 4 barrel vs 2 barrel shouldn't be an issue. I'd be more concerned with the shift pattern and and how close the gears are. It may take some time to get use to it. You may often find yourself going from 1st to 4th or even burn a clutch learning.

Standards are easy to learn especially when you've got torque on your side which a BB has. There's really no difference between driving a 2 barrel vs a 4 barrel for cruising, it's when you want to hone on it and rev it out that the 2 barrel gets depressing. I've had both an auto and a standard in mine and think the auto is probably faster in most cases with the instint shifts (shift kit) but the standard is a blast and with mine having 2 overdrive gears it's a no brainer.

It's been so long I can't remember but they were not my cars just buddies of mine that I drove on a few occasions. I'm more inclined for a 4BBL. If I do burn a clutch what is the $ it costs to repair?

what other standards have you driven? the 4 barrel vs 2 barrel shouldn't be an issue. I'd be more concerned with the shift pattern and and how close the gears are. It may take some time to get use to it. You may often find yourself going from 1st to 4th or even burn a clutch learning.

Definitely going to go with the 4BBL and really like the idea of going old school with a stick as it will be a blast to drive that way.

Standards are easy to learn especially when you've got torque on your side which a BB has. There's really no difference between driving a 2 barrel vs a 4 barrel for cruising, it's when you want to hone on it and rev it out that the 2 barrel gets depressing. I've had both an auto and a standard in mine and think the auto is probably faster in most cases with the instint shifts (shift kit) but the standard is a blast and with mine having 2 overdrive gears it's a no brainer.

Auto Transport Service
Back