• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks like a good piece of the puzzle..Searching for traction MT ET BIAS

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:04 AM
Reaction score
I have read about these and 3 pedal cars like my 70 Roadrunner.
My rear 9x17 Year One aluminum Rallye wheels are the width and diameter MT recommends, I hope they fit in the rear quarter wheelwells.
https://www.mickeythompsontires.com/drag-tires/et-street-r-bias
Screenshot_20190616-183037_Chrome.jpg

Experiment with air pressure....tall tires with low PSI can sometimes 'sway' on the top end.

I hope they fit in the rear quarter wheelwells.
They’ll fit.
I have 315/35/17 Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials on my stock suspension 70 Roadrunner now, have for 2 years, ever since I put the Year One aluminum Rallye wheels on. They fit like Plymouth should have made them standard equipment! They have a pretty short sidewall compared to the MTs though.
Thanks.
20180614_081635.jpg
20161006_092043.jpg

Are you doing this for the speed rating or better tire selection? Just curious.

Are you doing this for the speed rating or better tire selection? Just curious.
The Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials are the only tires I've had on the back of my Roadrunner since I got the 17" Year One aluminum Rallye wheels. I use them for everything, including the occasional track trips. They've been great for driving, but off the line traction, while much much better than the BFG T/A Radials were, leave a lot to be desired.
I have a line lock, but I haven't installed it yet. I also bent the top of the line pinion snubber from Mancini, so I think my leaf springs may be weak.
I have heard that these particular tires are better for traction off the line when you have a manual transmission.
That's why I'm looking to get a pair. For track days and improved off the line traction at the drag strip.

Short of real bias slicks, those will give you your best chance of straight-line traction. Are you mounting them on other wheels for occasional use? I don't think you will like them as a daily, handling will suffer.

Short of real bias slicks, those will give you your best chance of straight-line traction. Are you mounting them on other wheels for occasional use? I don't think you will like them as a daily, handling will suffer.
Yes. Track tires only. I'll probably get a 2nd pair of the Year One aluminum Rallye wheels to put them on, so my baby will look nice at the track...:D

They will work great. Try 18lbs it air. And they will fit that car great if the wheel offset it right.

I'm running this tire on my 65 Satellite and so far I love it !! but I cant seem to find any info on tire pressure, I ran mine between 12 - 14 pounds at a "No Prep" track & seemed to work better @ 12 PSI

For track only why not just buy 15" ralley wheels and real bias slicks?
Doug

Just a thought, maybe some of our racers can chime in but wouldn’t you want a bead lock wheel for those tires?

Try 18lbs it air.
I'm running this tire on my 65 Satellite and so far I love it !! but I cant seem to find any info on tire pressure, I ran mine between 12 - 14 pounds at a "No Prep" track & seemed to work better @ 12 PSI
18 lbs on the track is a common recommendation from people who post about these particular tires. 30 lbs driving to and from the track.
For track only why not just buy 15" ralley wheels and real bias slicks?
Doug
That is an option, but I know for a fact that the 5" backspaced 9"wide Year One aluminum Rallye wheels center a 10.5" wide tire perfectly in my rear quarter wheelwells.

The Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials are the only tires I've had on the back of my Roadrunner since I got the 17" Year One aluminum Rallye wheels. I use them for everything, including the occasional track trips. They've been great for driving, but off the line traction, while much much better than the BFG T/A Radials were, leave a lot to be desired.
I have a line lock, but I haven't installed it yet. I also bent the top of the line pinion snubber from Mancini, so I think my leaf springs may be weak.
I have heard that these particular tires are better for traction off the line when you have a manual transmission.
That's why I'm looking to get a pair. For track days and improved off the line traction at the drag strip.

I run the Toyo Proxy 345/40R17's on the back of my corvette. It has well over 600hp to the rear wheels. manual shift. Traction isn't bad. I run 22 psi when its hot out. As low as 18 when its cold. I want a little slip so I don't brake everything. It's a street car so no changing tires for the track. Give yourself a little more sidewall on the Toyo's and you should be able to stick them pretty good with a nice burn out. Get that line lock hooked up. Make"s a world of difference with a good burn out.

I run the Toyo Proxy 345/40R17's on the back of my corvette. It has well over 600hp to the rear wheels. manual shift. Traction isn't bad. I run 22 psi when its hot out. As low as 18 when its cold. I want a little slip so I don't brake everything. It's a street car so no changing tires for the track. Give yourself a little more sidewall on the Toyo's and you should be able to stick them pretty good with a nice burn out. Get that line lock hooked up. Make"s a world of difference with a good burn out.
Thanks a lot! It would be nice to have one tire for street and track duty...certainly less expensive.
That 345/40 is suggesting a 1" wider wheel than the 315, and I'm already "cheating" with my 9" wide wheel when Toyo recommends a 10.5" min. No sidewall pucker to speak of, but the 345 minimum recommended wheel is a 11.5"
:eek:
I am ultimately responsible for making the call, but what do you think? Try the 345 and see how it looks on the wheel?
BEFORE I BUY ANYTHING else, I am going to try the line lock that I already have and see if that helps traction improve enough for my 60 ft times to improve.
I am also going to install a hydraulic clutch bearing and the Clutchtamer or Hitmaster that reduces the impact of releasing the clutch. That may resolve the problem along with the heat imparted once I can lock my front brakes for a better burnout.

Thanks a lot! It would be nice to have one tire for street and track duty...certainly less expensive.
That 345/40 is suggesting a 1" wider wheel than the 315, and I'm already "cheating" with my 9" wide wheel when Toyo recommends a 10.5" min. No sidewall pucker to speak of, but the 345 minimum recommended wheel is a 11.5"
:eek:
I am ultimately responsible for making the call, but what do you think? Try the 345 and see how it looks on the wheel?
BEFORE I BUY ANYTHING else, I am going to try the line lock that I already have and see if that helps traction improve enough for my 60 ft times to improve.
I am also going to install a hydraulic clutch bearing and the Clutchtamer or Hitmaster that reduces the impact of releasing the clutch. That may resolve the problem along with the heat imparted once I can lock my front brakes for a better burnout.

My mistake. I thought that there was a 315/40r17 . I was wrong. The 345 will definitely not fit on your car. I am just saying that a taller sidewall will get you better traction

I use the ET Sreet R's for mt street tire and an ET/drag 10.5W at the track. In the street I can easily blow the tires off unless I roll into WOT in 2nd and it normally stay stuck. I di use them at the track a few times but it's faster with the small tire:thumbsup:

Carlisle 1018 026.jpg 7.10.18 005.jpg 7.15.12 (5).jpg 8.26.17 004.jpg Order1076-8x10.jpg thumbnail.jpg

I love BIG FATTIES in the fenderwells...
But BIG FATTIES under a B-Body CAN'T BE BEAT!
:lowdown::moparsmiley:

One day my Roadrunner is going to go from this (which ain't bad):
20190529_100619.jpg

To THIS! :bananadance::carrot::fool::bananaweed::lowdown:BIG FATTIES
20141108_100715.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back