• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks like it's going to be headers.

Mark1972

Local time
11:35 AM
Reaction score
Been away for a while. Car in storage nice and warm. 440 at machine shop getting worked on. The engine builder asked me about exhaust. I told him that in anticipation of a big block, I had a 2.5" dual exhaust with crossover pipe installed with 40 Series Flowmaster mufflers, which currently sit behind a stock 318. Now my 440 build is mild, only going for around 350hp, with the 452 heads, and a final compression of 9.5-1. I don't own a set of b-body RB exhaust manifolds, and have been told that non HP manifolds are pretty useless. The HP units are very expensive and hard to find. So for my 1970 Plymouth Satellite, 727, 3.55 geared car with power steering, which headers should I be looking at? Doug's or TTi? Thanks all, as usual.

IMG_20191110_192255.jpg 20190902_112021.jpg

HP manifolds are no harder to find or more expensive than the headers that your thinking of buying. Spend your time shopping them instead of on here asking the question which ones should I buy.

Theyre expensive, but i love my schumacher tri y headers. Plenty of clearance for plugs & starter.

I've run the TTI's and The Schumacher Tri-Y's on many cars. Both good.Expensive but work well.The Schumacher are hard to come by and wait time can be months.TTI make a real nice shorty big block header and not a bad price.If you go that route order their down pipes that go with them,That way you can bolt them up without having to have pipes made to attach to the rest of your exhaust.
Sounds like you are going for a nice street cruiser so HP manifolds shouldn't be too hard to find.TTI and Accurate make the down pipes to attach to the manifolds.Either way It is a really cool looking car that will run and sound good too.

I've run the Schumachers on a 451 stroker in my 65 and also on a 500''RB. The 500 was in a 72 GTX and was a great street car.
They work very well. I still have a set that I'm hanging on to, that's if I ever get/build another big block car.

I've run the Schumachers on a 451 stroker in my 65 and also on a 500''RB. The 500 was in a 72 GTX and was a great street car.
They work very well. I still have a set that I'm hanging on to, that's if I ever get/build another big block car.
On a side note, i have the contact info for the company that makes the ball joint flange pipes for them if you or anyone else needs it. A company called, Accurate Exhaust Products.

I went with TTI.
One of the determining factors was that Doug’s only offered a 2” primary in the RB headers.

I’m more than pleased with the TTI headers.

There are advantages to the smaller primaries, and step headers. I was laughed at running the 1 5/8'' Schumachers on my mild 451.
11.90's@110 mph in full street trim(Excluding the DOT slicks)
pittsburgh_raceway05.jpg

I'm having my 440 rebuilt at a racing engine shop. They told me they use TTI.

I like these "headers".... available any day of the week for $450 or less. Probably a couple sets for sale in the Classifieds right here on FBBO.
beerestoration2017 329.JPG

EDIT: Quick check and there's at least one set of 70/71 HP manifolds.. only a couple pages in in the classifieds.

Last edited:
Couple things to consider headers are cool but with that engine combo likely mot to add much hp. They will blow out gaskets often plugs harder to change and starter r& r don’t even ask. Will heat up engine compartment I could go on

Good decision. TTI. Ceramic coated. Less weight and heat. Get your wallet.

For an engine combo like that, I'd be running HP manifolds hands down every time! I have 2" TTI's and in my engine compartment with power steering, its tight for sure. I hate headers but with the big stroker the car had, they are pretty much mandatory. My runner has a mild 383 and has the manifolds and I would never buy another set of headers for a mild or the manifolds even mid power street engine. I know so many guys that had headers and went back to manifolds so they could pull the #2 spark plug without a plug socket and wrench or bolt on and forget about them and not do maintenance and struggle. They are a must for big power, but on a street car with a street engine, I vote manifolds for ease of use and space and WAYYYY less engine heat. ANY B/RB HP manifold will work for you. There is not a specific set for an RB motor so they will all do the job.

:thumbsup:

TTI’s, 100 degrees cooler under hood temps than conventional manifolds confirmed by thermal temp gun many times. Real world for street cars. Check it yourself at the next August Car Show.

I like the TTi's for fit and ease of access to the plugs. On a side note I think you'll be getting more HP than 350 regardless.

TTI’s, 100 degrees cooler under hood temps than conventional manifolds confirmed by thermal temp gun many times. Real world for street cars. Check it yourself at the next August Car Show.

I have the TTI thermal coated 2" headers and man does my Charger ever make some serious heat! Maybe its just the big steam it makes, but always linked it to the headers.

Couple things to consider headers are cool but with that engine combo likely mot to add much hp. They will blow out gaskets often plugs harder to change and starter r& r don’t even ask. Will heat up engine compartment I could go on
Still on first set of gaskets, plugs been out several times and mini starters ..... they're not that bad, unless you want to take them out of the car !

Auto Transport Service
Back