• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loose Universal Joint

Red63440

Local time
5:41 AM
Reaction score
Don and I installed the new rear end in my 64 Fury today and after Don left I continued to install some other items and connect the drive shaft to the differential. After tightening everything up I found that the caps didn’t hold the universal tight. The yoke is a small and the same as was in the car before. I’m looking for suggestions on how to fix the problem, could it just be worn straps?
Thanks!

Wrong straps possibly 7290 straps on your small 7260 u-joint?

7260 cup is 1.078 a 7290 cup is 1.125 you be the judge. Is the u-joint tight in the yoke?

7260 cup is 1.078 a 7290 cup is 1.125 you be the judge. Is the u-joint tight in the yoke?
The U joint fits snug from side to side but there is no gap between the strap and yoke so it’s down as far as it’s going to go before tightening.

The U joint fits snug from side to side but there is no gap between the strap and yoke so it’s down as far as it’s going to go before tightening.
Take your straps and hold them on the yoke with the u joint installed and you should have a small amount of clearance between the strap and yoke, This will allow a little crush to hold the u joint in the yoke. I usually take the straps on the side of my bench grinder and LIGHTLY remove a little metal to get the require crush. Be very carefull as the yoke will want to get away from you! USE CAUTION!!!

Straps could be bent, put them on a flat surface. Where the bolts go through should be flat. If you see an air gap on the cup side it's bent.

Here is my thought…I changed from a 1964 rear end to a 1968/70 rear end and differential. I feel the answer may very well be the combination universal 7260/7290 universal which would solve the problem. There is no gap between the yoke and straps before tightening and there are no clips on the universal. The second problem I have is the the emergency brake cables are to short. They were made for a 2.5”x 10” drum but I am using a 2.5”x11” drum so what I need is one of the short cables from a 68/70 8 3/4 with 11 drums.

Auto Transport Service
Back