• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LOST 68 CHARGER R/T XS29L8B188105 northeast PA

KRIS MORGAN

Local time
9:51 PM
Reaction score
was my first car, sold in the early 1990s. Originally turquoise 440 ,727 black int. A very solid car at that time painted B5 with an earlier 413 block. If found I will buy in any condition or trade one of my more valuable cars. On a hunch my insurance agent found VIN in paper file storage. Modern day Carfax computer systems only accept 17 character VINS after 1981. Any leads would be helpful, Thank You

Hi Kris I hope you find it. Sounds like a nice car with lots of memories for you.
Posting this in the welcome wagon section may help you get some better exposure.

Hi Kris I hope you find it. Sounds like a nice car with lots of memories for you.
Posting this in the welcome wagon section may help you get some better exposure.
Thanks just did so. Theres nothing like getting your first car back.
Is that a Q5 Roadrunner in your profile pic? I currently have a 69 Q5 GTX original paint 21k miles

IMG_20160807_175424403_HDR.jpg

Sometimes google is your friend. Run the Vin and ask on as many sites as possible. Something may pop up.

was my first car, sold in the early 1990s. Originally turquoise 440 ,727 black int. A very solid car at that time painted B5 with an earlier 413 block. If found I will buy in any condition or trade one of my more valuable cars. On a hunch my insurance agent found VIN in paper file storage. Modern day Carfax computer systems only accept 17 character VINS after 1981. Any leads would be helpful, Thank You

Kris, was this car sold near Womelsdorf, Pa? If yes, I might have a lead for you.
Have any pics from back then?

Kris, was this car sold near Womelsdorf, Pa? If yes, I might have a lead for you.
Have any pics from back then?
Yes yes yes. In 1987 it was bought near Reading. I lived in Schuylkill county. I got word of a turquoise one owned by a guy that grew up near Reading but he has owned the car forever like at least the late 70s and i believe its a 4spd
One pic is the day i bought it and the other is after customization lol

20170508_094626.jpg 20170508_094903.jpg

Kris, you came to a good place in your search. Still looking for my first GTX, not trying to get it back, but I have original paperwork I'd like to unite with the car. I got my second one back by trolling the internet for a few years, and a couple lucky breaks along the way. Love your Q5 car, saw it at Carlisle many years back, talked to a past owner a few years ago who said he wishes he'd kept it.

can DMV help? Do you know any police that can run your vin for you?

Kris, you came to a good place in your search. Still looking for my first GTX, not trying to get it back, but I have original paperwork I'd like to unite with the car. I got my second one back by trolling the internet for a few years, and a couple lucky breaks along the way. Love your Q5 car, saw it at Carlisle many years back, talked to a past owner a few years ago who said he wishes he'd kept it.
Thanks for the encouragement....Ive given VIN to notaries connected to DMV and also a police officer to check but when I get 'no results' I feel it's because it's not a modern 17 character vin. Even if the car is dead there should be history of old titles issued. I won't give up yet.
You must have a good memory it's been 10 years since my GTX was in Carlisle. What past owner? I bought it 20 years ago in Lansdale Pa and prior to that it was in Oklahoma. 16k miles when I got it.
Did your first GTX spend any time in NE pa? Kris

Thanks for the encouragement....Ive given VIN to notaries connected to DMV and also a police officer to check but when I get 'no results' I feel it's because it's not a modern 17 character vin. Even if the car is dead there should be history of old titles issued. I won't give up yet.
You must have a good memory it's been 10 years since my GTX was in Carlisle. What past owner? I bought it 20 years ago in Lansdale Pa and prior to that it was in Oklahoma. 16k miles when I got it.
Did your first GTX spend any time in NE pa? Kris
I've been to every Chrysler Nationals at Carlisle since the first in 1991. I saw your car there in the 1990s when I would drive in from Chicago in my 1962 and 1966 Imperials. The past owner had to be the guy you got it from, attorney in the Philadelphia area. Met him at a local show in 2018 when I still had my red '69 Track Pak GTX; he was only in town because his daughter had a swim meet at Penn State that weekend. I remember the mileage, and the guy told me he let it go because he never drove it. My first car went to Edgarton, Ohio in 1981, and changed hands through a dealer about ten years later. I have no idea where it went from there. It has been in Roger Wilson's 1970 GTX registry for years, with no information surfacing. Picture below from my honeymoon in 1977, car was completely stock original. Still have the wife, 44 years later. This hobby is a fairly small and tight group, you never know when you might get a good lead.

70 GTX.jpg

Last edited:
I've been to every Chrysler Nationals at Carlisle since the first in 1991. I saw your car there in the 1990s when I would drive in from Chicago in my 1962 and 1966 Imperials. The past owner had to be the guy you got it from, attorney in the Philadelphia area. Met him at a local show in 2018 when I still had my red '69 Track Pak GTX; he was only in town because his daughter had a swim meet at Penn State that weekend. I remember the mileage, and the guy told me he let it go because he never drove it. My first car went to Edgarton, Ohio in 1981, and changed hands through a dealer about ten years later. I have no idea where it went from there. It has been in Roger Wilson's 1970 GTX registry for years, with no information surfacing. Picture below from my honeymoon in 1977, car was completely stock original. Still have the wife, 44 years later. This hobby is a fairly small and tight group, you never know when you might get a good lead.

View attachment 1213032

View attachment 1213032
You definitely have the right car...i bought it from an attorney i believe Dave. Since then i was able to get the dings out (paintless) and give it a thorough detail.
I love old pics...your first Gtx is im sure somewhere stashed unregistered.
Since youre from State College did you hear anything about the FC7 AAR Cuda i bought from original owner? He also had some Letter Chryslers. Was a college professor that kept everything he done to Cuda even admission ticket to Watkins Glenn AAR series , window sticker, even his car shopping notes before purchase lol. It was in a steel building way up in the woods off I-80. I couldnt make a deal with him on the spot i was so upset when i left i drove 30 miles and realized i was heading to Ohio lol

20200912_164438.jpg 20200912_101822.jpg 20200912_101812.jpg

You definitely have the right car...i bought it from an attorney i believe Dave. Since then i was able to get the dings out (paintless) and give it a thorough detail.
I love old pics...your first Gtx is im sure somewhere stashed unregistered.
Since youre from State College did you hear anything about the FC7 AAR Cuda i bought from original owner? He also had some Letter Chryslers. Was a college professor that kept everything he done to Cuda even admission ticket to Watkins Glenn AAR series , window sticker, even his car shopping notes before purchase lol. It was in a steel building way up in the woods off I-80. I couldnt make a deal with him on the spot i was so upset when i left i drove 30 miles and realized i was heading to Ohio lol

View attachment 1213040 View attachment 1213042 View attachment 1213043
Al Vanice is an urban legend here in State College. I finally got to meet him in person at a show a few years ago. We have the distinction of being the only two residents here who have both owned a Chrysler 300F. I was surprised when he told me he had sold the AAR. I figured that would be the one he would keep the longest. I'm attaching photos of two other mythical Mopars from my teen years in State College - The '69 Hemi Road Runner that was eventually owned by a Penn State music professor, and the dealer demonstrator '69 GTX, which was the was the family car of the owners of Clark Motor Company back in the day. I test drove the GTX when I was 16 - It appeared to be destiny that someday I would have a Hemi GTX in my garage, after owning five 440 GTXs along the way.

buttmobile.jpg IMG_0101.JPG

Last edited:
Al Vanice is an urban legend here in State College. I finally got to meet him in person at a show a few years ago. We have the distinction of being the only two residents here who have both owned a Chrysler 300F. I was surprised when he told me he had sold the AAR. I figured that would be the one he would keep the longest. I'm attaching photos of two other mythical Mopars from my teen years in State College - The '69 Hemi Road Runner that was eventually owned by a Penn State music professor, and the dealer demonstrator '69 GTX, which was the was the family car of the owners of Clark Motor Company back in the day. I test drove the GTX when I was 16 - It appeared to be destiny that someday I would have a Hemi GTX in my garage, after owning five 440 GTXs along the way.

View attachment 1213197 View attachment 1213198
Yes Al was a very interesting person. I was so happy to get that car. Someone else trying to buy it weeks later called me and after knowing where I lived mentioned a 66 black black 4spd Hemi Satellite with original paint 20 minutes from me. I got that one as well.
My uncle and friends got me into Mopars at a young age. None of us ever had a Hemi GTX like you. There was a burgundy 68 sold at an estate sale in Downingtown around 2007 with 4k miles and a seized motor. Drag raced and then kept in an apparently climate controlled garage because the body and interior was mint. I know where it's stored today and keeping a watch on it. It's still in the same condition. Kris

Beautiful and such a rare color. Back to the Charger I posted on the welcome wagon and it got deleted said I should post on lost/found

Sorry that they did that to you. Most of the time they like first time posters to post in the welcome wagon. Who knows, why or what they do.

Kris, I have texted my friend who I have not seen in a long time. Not heard back yet.
I believe he has or had the car you are looking for. It definitely had a 413 in it.
I seem to remember it also hade holes cut in the radiator support? for air intake? I think it also had 2 data plates, 2nd being special paint. ?
does any of this sound familiar?

If he doesn't answer in a few days, I will try again.

There are not many chargers around that color.

Jim

Kris, I have texted my friend who I have not seen in a long time. Not heard back yet.
I believe he has or had the car you are looking for. It definitely had a 413 in it.
I seem to remember it also hade holes cut in the radiator support? for air intake? I think it also had 2 data plates, 2nd being special paint. ?
does any of this sound familiar?

If he doesn't answer in a few days, I will try again.

There are not many chargers around that color.

Jim
Hi Jim,
I was 18 when I sold it so the data plates meant nothing. Holes in the rad support I may not have known the difference. When was the last you knew he had it? Has it been restored? I sold it painted a heavy metallic Corvette blue kinda like B5. Are you from Womelsdorf? I was partners in a wholesale car operation a little north on 419.... Kris

Auto Transport Service
Back