• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost My Ballast Resistor Virginity

Bruzilla

Local time
12:19 PM
Reaction score
After driving 73-74 Roadrunners since 1979, I finally had a ballast resister go Tango Uniform. :( We went to an ice cream place and sat in line at the drive through for about 15 minutes, and when I went to leave the engine started running rough as Hell for about ten seconds and then died. I coasted into a parking lot and the car would start and then die as soon as I released the key.

I called the Autozone just down the street and amazingly they had two resistors, so I walked down there, bought both of them, and put one in. Problem fixed. I sure was glad for all the times I read people saying how if the engine starts but won't run, it's the resistor. :) :) :)

Yup, might want to carry an extra in the trunk along with an ignition module. You were lucky this time, they usually go t u in the middle of nowhere.

After driving 73-74 Roadrunners since 1979, I finally had a ballast resister go Tango Uniform. :( We went to an ice cream place and sat in line at the drive through for about 15 minutes, and when I went to leave the engine started running rough as Hell for about ten seconds and then died. I coasted into a parking lot and the car would start and then die as soon as I released the key.

I called the Autozone just down the street and amazingly they had two resistors, so I walked down there, bought both of them, and put one in. Problem fixed. I sure was glad for all the times I read people saying how if the engine starts but won't run, it's the resistor. :) :) :)

You're having way too much fun with your car Bru . . . ( except the new stangs that won't leave you alone ), and I'm glad that your enjoying your car ! Gives me a little motivation to get my car on the road too - someday.

Let me guess, resistor #2 went in the glove box "just in case - for next time" . . .

You're having way too much fun with your car Bru . . . ( except the new stangs that won't leave you alone ), and I'm glad that your enjoying your car ! Gives me a little motivation to get my car on the road too - someday.

Let me guess, resistor #2 went in the glove box "just in case - for next time" . . .
That's exactly why I bought two and where it's at. :)

And as long as you carry a spare,,,it will never go bad again !

I remember where and when mine went bad......parking lot leaving work, summer 1987.......like it was yesterday lol

I had one go bad on a 72 Demon years ago. Acted exactly like you describe. Would fire then die when you let off on the key.

So I have a question. The day before my resistor died, I replaced the stock electronic ignition module with an orange unit. I read someplace that the orange units can act flaky with the resistor and I'm wondering if the orange unit caused the resistor to fail? I don't know how old the resistor was but it was on their when I got the car four years ago.

Doubt it,It was it's time,,lead a good life,,worked hard and long,,,now it's time for it to rest.......

mine went bad half way down the race track it just quit a friend had a spare so I could finish racing that night

That's the thing I love about this forum, everything is covered at some point educating us all. Really pays off in a pickle.

Auto Transport Service
Back