• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost my beautiful Lab last month.

383man

Local time
1:56 AM
Reaction score
I know I have not been here much lately as I actually have not been on many sites much lately. I was devastated last month when I lost my sweet yellow Lab that was almost 13 years old. We had her 11 years as we got her from my brother when she was about 1-1/2 years old. This girl was the sweetest dog I have ever had and ever known IMO. I loved her so much and I can tell you it was the hardest thing I have ever done having to take her to the Vets and having to put her down.

She got sick one night and started throwing up real bad. Then she could not move her rear legs as I had her on meds for her joint problems which were helping her a lot. She just laid on the floor and then peed a few times during the night. She could not move so we had to put her in a blanket to carry her to the car and she weighed 115 lbs. We had no choice as she just could not move any more. The med called Galliprant helped her live another 6 months as 6 months ago she could not get up the stairs and she stayed downstairs with me 99% of the time. The vet put her on the Galliprant the next day and she was walking up the stairs within 12 hrs and did good for 6 more months. I had to stay with her until the end as I wanted her to see a loving face until the end. My son had to leave the room as he could not stay. It was the hardest thing I ever did as I loved her so much that it tore my heart out.

She usually hung with me most all the time and slept downstairs with me every night. She was the sweetest dog you could ever want and when someone came in the house she walked over to them with her tail wagging 90 mph and would just go up and kiss them. I broke down because I felt so bad that I could not do anything to help her. She was just my special girl who was the sweetest dog I ever had. I also have a boy dog that's Lab and Border Collie who I also love so much but he is my boy and she was my special loving girl. I hope I never have to do this again but I know I will. It makes me not want to get any more dogs but then I realize the 11 years of awesome love she gave us makes it worth the pain I guess. I really miss her so much.. Ron

414122686.jpg
408492028.jpg

God bless Ron. Sounds like you gave her the very best home possible and the kind of love she deserved. That's pretty much all we can do, and it's all they really want from us. Might feel like you let her down but you didn't, you were there for the whole journey.

Very sorry to hear of your loss Ron.
A dog is the best of a companion in all respects.

Very sorry to hear! Many of us here know that same feeling oh too well! It sucks

My wife calls this one my therapy dog..,and she is! When your ready do it again, soon

7364F2A0-1AAB-4B0C-8035-D8DB513D1BD8.jpeg

Sorry Ron, just did it myself in Feb. It never gets easier, in fact I think it gets harder the older we get. Jeff

Sorry to hear that my friend. Dogs truly are a gift from above.

I have 3 Labs, one of them us a yellow female like yours that I call my comfort pup.
Another is a 13 year old black male that I recently found out is diabetic. I dont expect him to make it another year.

I will have to ask my vet about the drug you were using because he is starting to have mobility issues.

Aw, man.

Labs are great dogs (we actually have a big black Lab where I work).

He is on meds for leg issues but is OK except for a slight hitch in his step.

IIRC he is about 11. I understand larger Labs are known to have limb, hip and pelvis issues.

Am so sorry for your lost, I feel empathy with you because I love my giggles so much, take comfort that she live a long and plentiful life with a loving family and she was happy all those years with you, but please don't deny a good and loving home to a much needed dog, I bet that's what she would want it to.

Sorry for your loss Ron. We lost our Remi (Pug) just over a year ago, and it still hurts. Like you, she was my special little girl. My wife and I never had kids, so Remi was our little girl. She too was 11 years old.
There are no words that can make it better; it just takes time. I am a follower of the Lord Jesus, and I always had the thought that animals didn't go to heaven. But we found this verse in Psalm 36, and now I'm rethinking that:

"Your love, Lord, reaches to the heavens,
your faithfulness to the skies.
Your righteousness is like the highest mountains,
your justice like the great deep.
You, Lord, preserve both people and animals."

-Jack

It is entirely plausible to say that the 11 years I had a chocolate lab were the best years of my life. Its no easier to consider putting down your dog than it is to consider putting down one of your other best friends.

Deepest sympathies. We know the feeling, all too well.

i know you lost a very special friend. sorry for that but know that she will always be with you. very sorry

There are a lot of things in this life that are not fair, this is one of them that hurts the most. So very sorry for your loss......

Sorry for your loss. Cherish the memories that you have of her, with that she will live forever in you.

My condolences on your loss. I had a yellow Lab that I got as a pup and he lived to 17 (yes 17) when I had to take him in. I still think about him all the time, I have since adopted a Belgian Malinois and I think I'm even closer to him because of his unique personality.

It ain't easy.

We lost Oliver Nov. 15th and couldn't even talk about it until after Christmas. It is very hard and we feel your pain. Crying about a lost dog happens because you are a quality person. It gets better over time, but the emptiness lingers.

Auto Transport Service
Back