• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Love my Super Sawzall but.....

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:19 AM
Reaction score
Having a battery operated one would be even nicer! Anyone have one and is happy with it?? I have the Ryobi ONE+ tools but haven't looked to see if a Sawzall is even available with that battery. I don't use it all that much these days but it would be great to not have to string out a cord to do a simple job....

A building contractor friend claims they are battery killers because of vibration. I reach for my 14 volt Dewalt before my 110 reciprocating saw and haven't had any failures. It's quick and handy, but for big things or a lot of cutting, I get out the 110. His saw gets heavy use.

This past weekend I was helping a friend replace the rear shocks on his Cuda, we'd already tried about a month ago but the two top bolts were absolutely seized & couldn't be removed... No room for most methods so this time I brought my 80's vintage Super Sawzall... And he brought his shiny new Ryobi battery powered reciprocating saw.... We started with his saw cause it's lighter & cordless.... It quickly became apparent the cordless saw doesn't have nearly the power the antique does.... But it's sure convenient....

For small jobs a cordless tool is good, but anytime I need a heavy duty long usage tool I plug it in. Replacement batteries cost almost as much as a new tool. Just ask any Tesla owner.

Milwaukee makes them. I have their M18 1/2" drive impact gun & drill. I have also used the Sawzall & many of the other battery powered tools they have. (My boss has most all of them) I have to say, I'm VERY impressed with ALL the M18 tools I've used. Not cheap, but worth every penny IMHO. Ace Hardware carry's the line.

A building contractor friend claims they are battery killers because of vibration. I reach for my 14 volt Dewalt before my 110 reciprocating saw and haven't had any failures. It's quick and handy, but for big things or a lot of cutting, I get out the 110. His saw gets heavy use.
Most of my cutting is light duty but thinking it's not worth it to buy the battery powered saw.....but have had some really heavy duty usage from the corded saw and that alone is well worth the money spent!!

I bought Milwaukee corded sawzalls exclusively since the mid 80's. Not anymore though. All the new models vibrate so bad they are no fun to use imo. Now their M18 Hackzall is another story. They are awesome and get used almost daily.
Amazon product ASIN B076JHJKR8

Having a battery operated one would be even nicer! Anyone have one and is happy with it?? I have the Ryobi ONE+ tools but haven't looked to see if a Sawzaw is even available with that battery. I don't use it all that much these days but it would be great to not have to string out a cord to do a simple job....
I have a couple of the Ryobi One+ drill and driver combos. Got a Ryobi battery recip saw to keep in my truck. It's handy, and I like it. But I have not done much heavy cutting with it yet. Best use so far was cutting down some shrubs and weed tree saplings well away from the house with no power close by.
I retired from the construction trade, so don't do a whole lot of carpentry any more.
But now, playing with my old toys in the garage, I have a really good use for a recip saw. Use a long blade and a worm drive radiator hose clamp. Clamp a can of spray paint to the blade, and you have an instant can shaker! Saves my old elbows and shoulder a lot of wear......
:thumbsup:

I'd stick with the Ryobi if you already have the batteries. They have a saw for $45 and one for $249. You get what you pay for.

I started buying them when they came out with the One+ and got a couple of the big batteries. I really like the line up for the hand tools and the yard tools.

DeWalt 20 volt here and love it.
Me too. I try to stick with brands that don't change battery types/voltage/configurations every year. Like Craftsman, B&D and others. I have all Dewalt for my cordless stuff, same battery for all.

But now, playing with my old toys in the garage, I have a really good use for a recip saw. Use a long blade and a worm drive radiator hose clamp. Clamp a can of spray paint to the blade, and you have an instant can shaker! Saves my old elbows and shoulder a lot of wear......
:thumbsup:
LOL!! Oh man, that's cool stuff and will keep that in mind!!

I bought one and haven't used the old Shopmate since. Mine is an older model and has been just fine so far. Done everything I've needed it to.
However, it spends most of its time right there.....:)
1679532335162.png

Having a battery operated one would be even nicer! Anyone have one and is happy with it?? I have the Ryobi ONE+ tools but haven't looked to see if a Sawzaw is even available with that battery. I don't use it all that much these days but it would be great to not have to string out a cord to do a simple job....
Yup, we use the same Ryobi+1 system at work, facility maint. The recip saw is great, if you throw a foot long demo blade on it, I'm sure you could drag it down. But for normal use it would be hard to beat. I've been there going on 4yrs and haven;t had a batt go out on us.

Me and my 2 brothers decided a while back to pick a brand and stick with it. Liked dewalt. So been collecting since. For the big tools, sawzall, hammer drill, grinder and circular saw. Got the 60 flex volt. these are a beast. No comparison to the 20 volt. The one thing I would say is I like the smaller 6 AH battery better because it’s lighter. My 9 AH last longer, but add a little weight.

The one we used last weekend looked to be pretty new... I don't know if it was the $50 model or the $250 model.... What I do know is space was very limited & strangely the Ryobi was bulkier in areas than the Sawzall & while trying to cut the hardened steel rod of a shock it couldn't take the load... I was bracing the back side of the nose of the saw against the crossmember & using a good bit of force rather than letting the saw blade rub on the shaft & get dull I forced it to cut... My old saw had no problem... The blade was a Lenox so it's designed for the hard work..

I have all Milwaukee cordless tools.
M18 6 1/2" circular saw.
Sawzall
Grinder.
Multi-tool.
Leaf blower.
M12 Drills.
1/4" impact driver.
They are fantastic. The battery life is quite good and they recharge quickly.

I have a full ridgid set and batts. are 8 yrs. old! the cordless recip. is real handy for brushing limbs roasdide! I did kill the hammer drill putting 60 16"x5/8ths. spikes for speed bumps in the road and building 40 6'x20' docks, killed the 1/4 impact putting docks in/out 7 times [560 3/4" bolts] but that's real abuse and no fault of the equipment! I put the genie in the back of the gator now and use a hilti for speed bumps, rigid was so hot could barely hold it,but it kept going for quite a while!
I buy ridgid for the resort. home I have some porter cable drills,drivers,grinders also good stuff!
the only dewalt tool I was impressed with was there cordless jigsaw, nice unit!

I swapped over to Milwaukee M18 stuff and love it. My cordless sawzall is fantastic when Im running big pvc pipe out and about in the field, don't want to be without it. I have an assortment of different amp hour batteries that I swap around depending upon need. My latest is the disc grinder, I take it to the salvage yard with weld cutter disc when needed. It eats up battery juice the quickest of all.

I have an early 90s corded super sawzall and its a love hate tool...glad I have it ..but I hate that kind of work..LOL Im slowly switching to Milwaukie M18 series. so far drill, circle saw, impact,weed waper and next is sawzall. if you catch them on sale (not cheep) but they give you 2 batteries and if you do that twice you have enough to start buying tool only. I did use a M18 sawzall and it is a great saw.

Auto Transport Service
Back